The Wunder Games 1

BEGINNING OF PART ONE

My hand closes around the bent stick of elm wood. I quickly fit an arrow into the string and take best shot. The arrow sinks into the dummy's felt stomach, knocking it to the grass.

"Yes!" I clench my fist in triumph. Ever since the Capitol announced a new annual game, I've been practicing with my dad's old bow. Self defense will be necessary, I hear.

In the early summer, a Capitol representative will come and pick envelope out of a basket. That envelope will contain a card inside. That card might just read "Olivi Stuursma". Everyone must enter their name.

I snatch up a fist full of arrows, sling the bow on my back and run off to a tall palm tree to practice my climbing. I shimmy up the first couple of feet, my arms wrapped around the trunk. Once I'm among the knarled branches, I squeeze my foot into a small break in the tree. What promises to be a good, challenging climb, is ruined by my mother's call.

"Olli!"

I wriggle my foot from the break and hop out of the tree. My mother stand in the doorway of our tiny cabin by the sea. I sprint up to her.

"Olli, what are you doing?"

"Practicing." I bite my lip.

"For what?" My mother puts her hands on her hips.

"The Hunger Games," I whipser, knowing I am about to witness an explosion of anger and disappointment.

"Olli!" My mother scolds me, "Your name won't be drawn from that basket! Stop being ridiculous and come inside! Right now!"

"But what if it is?" I blurt out. "If I go to the Capitol-"

"You won't go to the Capitol!" my mother say firmly, "Your name will be one slip of in thousands! Come inside this instant!"

I leave the bow and arrows on what hardly can be called a porch and follow my mother inside to our one-room house. The beds are up against the back wall and the stove and counter to the right. My mother's desk has been pushed in the corner, covered with stacks of the objects my mother values most: books. Unfinished letters and ballpoint pens are also scattered across her work space. Who does my mother write to? My whole family is dead, except for Aunt Lucee and my little cousin, Mags, who live close to the construction on the nice side of town.

The Capitol has promised the victors of these new games fame, showers of money and a brand new house. The houses are in the process of being built. Aunt Lucee and Mags try to avoid the construction and builders. They don't visit often.

I think Mother a distant cousin in District Nine, but we never talk about him.

My mother doesn't like talking about family much. Because of what happened last autumn.

District 13 tried to overthrow the Capitol. They formed a group of rebels, soldiers and spies from all districts and tried to unthrone the president. They dropped bombs and attacked the Capitol.

But the resistance failed and our seat of power crushed them. The rebel forces sunk to the ground and District 13 was sent up in flames. Now, the Capitol says, every year, each district must offer up one young man and woman between the ages of twelve and eighteen to represent their home in a fight to the death. Twenty four tributes will be sent into a vast arena as nothing but dirt. One victorious teenager will come out.

These games will be entertainment to the Capitol citizens, but we all know these are punishment. Children will die.

Mother knew the resistance in thirteen well. She was so well connected because Dad was a commander. He could use any weapon you placed in his hands perfectly. Dad was apart by the president's monsters he keeps. Our ruler may be young, but he's an evil genius.

Mother has been distant ever since the last battle.

**************************************************************************************************************

When mother leaves for the center of town, I pick up my father's bow again along with some rocks and head outside. I line the rocks along the fence and back up, arrow in the string.

My first shot sucks.

I hit the fence post about a foot from the stone, which sits untouched. I shake myself ready another arrow. This next attempt is better, striking the upper plank of wood, not far from my target.

My final shot is excellent. The arrow launches towards the fence and knocks the rock right off.