The Wunder Games 2

The reaping arrives quickly.

The summer day is bright and beautiful. But no one's spirits are bright. Today, their unfortunate child might be sent away. Like animals for slaughter.

Mother remains quiet. She does not say a word as she looks me over, but I can tell what she is thinking.

She knows I look hideous. If my name is drawn today, I won't be a hit in the Capitol if they by looks. Which I'm sure most of them will.

My hair, which is supposed to be blonde, is knarled with salt from the years I have spent in the ocean and cut very uneven with treacherous split ends. My face is a deep tancaked with bits of sand and my eyes faded and gray with specks of sparking blue. I have only ever bathed myself in the sea.

My mother tries to braid my long, tangled hair dwon to my waist but it ends up looking like one big unsolvable knot. We have no water with which I can wash my face, only the ocean. 

I slip on a brown dress and an old pair of sandals I have. Mother pats my back and we head to the square together. I am herded into a roped off area where kids ages twelve to eighteen are required to gather, right in front of the stage outside the Justice Building. The twelve year olds look so small, so young, so helpless and scared. What if one of them is picked?

The reaping begins as the mayor of District Four steps up on to the stage and reads the full history of our country, Panem. This takes at least an hour and by then, people are yawning and plopping down on the hot asphalt. The mayor explains why these games were created and that they now will be held annually.

I think the Capitol is evil to do this to us. We, there people! Wasn't the abolishing of thirteen punishment enough? 

Next, a perky little lady with shiny white hair and bright teal skin hops up on to the stage and wishes all of us a "happy" Hunger Games! She introduces herself as Elaina, the representative from the Capitol who will draw the names of the "lucky winners!" 

Elaina, strangely enough, picks up the basket of boys' names first and plucks out "Garren Hartline". I don't know him so it's not a terrible loss, but still he is one of us. An eighteen year old boy with red hair boldly steps up on to the stage and turns to face the crowd. He has that "I'm gonna win" look spread across his face. Is he actually anxious?

Elain warmly congratulates Garren and strides over to the girls' basket. I wait quietly, knowing I will probably hear some other girl's name called out. Elaina opens the envelope and picks out the card.

But it's not any of the other girls in this section.

It's me.