Chapter Thirty One--Phil--Rescue?

I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to think of anything but the pain.

I don't remember how long I've been here. I don't think it's been long, but it feels like an eternity.

The snake woman had hurt me. I think she was called a Dracaena, but I didn't care.

I just wanted her to leave.

Footsteps sounded next to me, and I cautiously opened my eyes to see a pair of muddy boots.

"Please leave me alone," I whimpered, knowing full well who the boots belonged to.

"I'm sorry Phillip," Prometheus said without any trace of remorse. "I tried to speak to you like a civilized being, but you refused to listen. I'm afraid this is the only way."

"Gaia is evil," I croaked, partially to remind myself. I couldn't bend to his will.

Prometheus sighed. "I'm sorry you were raised to see that Phillip. I'm sorry we have to do this."

He leaned down and grabbed me by my collar, raising me up to eye level with him.

A Dracaena handed him a black dagger, and he examined it for a moment before looking back and me and pointing it at my chest.

"I'm sorry," he said one last time.

And that's when all heck broke loose.

The Dracaena hissed as someone with green hair poked her with their spear.

Sean.

A hellhound snarled as a boy with a floof of pink hair swiped his dagger at it.

Mark.

Prometheus cursed as a brown-haired boy tackled his waist.

Dan.

I fell to the ground, my head slamming into the dirt. A high-pitched noise rang in my ears.

But I didn't care.

Dan was here.

I forced myself to open my eyes, watching and wishing I could help.

Dan now had an ax, and was doing his very best to hit Prometheus, who had gotten to his feet and was now skillfully dodging Dan's attacks.

Mark swiped his black-hilted dagger with deadly accuracy, cutting the hellhound several times on the snout.

Sean had his spear crossed with the one of the Dracaena, who was pushing against Sean with all her strength.

My gaze shot back to Dan as I heard a yelp and the clatter of metal against stone.

Prometheus's crisp black suit was no longer so crisp. It was stained with blood and mud, and had several rips in it.

But he held his dagger at Dan, who was laying on the ground, his ax out of reach.

Prometheus was breathing heavily. "Goodbye, Demigod."