Chapter 14 - Nicolas

It had been a long drive to Uncle Filip's house, about eighty minutes I believe. He lived in Szentkirály while Uncle Anasztáz was in District X, Budapest. He lived in a small neighborhood where most of the houses were the same. They all had reddish brown roofs, tan siding, and dark brown, wooded doors. Some of them were a bit bigger than others length-wise, but they were all about the same height. Filip's house was one of the smaller ones, he did live by himself. His girlfriend lived in the neighborhood, though. He stood in the doorway with a smile on his face as he saw us exit out of the car. His bright blue eyes filled with excitement. It was kinda strange though that he looked a lot like my dad, well, the young version by about twenty years.

"Welcome to my home," Filip said with a grin and gesturing to the house.

"It's nice to see you again, Filip." My dad said as he walked over to him and gave him a hug with a pat on the back. My dad motioned to me and Noah to come over and greet our uncle.

"Hey, Uncle Filip! I'm Noah," Noah said. He seemed to have too much energy, he ate no candy before we left, right?

"It's nice to meet you, Noah." He then turned to me. "Your Nicolas, right?" he asked in a humorous voice.

"Yeah," I replied. Uncle Filip seemed so different compared to Anasztáz; he was so full of life and happiness, maybe even a bit of his teen years still in him, but he still seemed to look like his elder brother. He had the same hair color and style, but the length was only to the tips of his ears.

"I'm sorry if this sounds a bit rude, but I thought you were a boy, not a girl." He said while still keeping his lively manor.

I laughed a little, it didn't offend me at all. "A lot of people are confused by it as well, especially when they see me."

He laughed at his mistake before walking inside with us trailing along behind him. He seemed too happy, he wasn't drunk, right?

We entered a living room with bright yellow walls, the carpet was a dirty beige with a summer green, oval carpet in the center. There was a sofa pressed against a half-wall with a glass coffee table in front of it, a few stone coasters were on top of it. A medium sized television stood against the wall opposite of the sofa, it was sleek and black with a back on it. Family photos covered the wall it was placed against, most of them being pictures of one to two dark-haired boys per photo. One did stand out though; right above the television there was a eight by eleven photo of Uncle Filip and a young woman with honey blonde hair, her skin tone almost matched her hair and her brown eyes seemed to blend with them as well. She must be Franciska.

We all went to sit down, my parents, aunt, and uncle took the seats leaving Noah, Gabi and I on the carpet. Flóra picked up Gabi and set her on her lap. The child laughed and grabbed her mother's forefinger, a stretched smile came to Flóra's face. I played with the hem of my dress as the time passed, I was bored out of my mind! There truly was nothing to do. Not that long later, Uncle Filip came out from where he had disappeared - probably the kitchen - with a plate with snacks on it. There was an assortment of cheeses and also vegetables.

"Here are some snacks if you guys are hungry. Once everyone gets here, I will start dinner." Filip said while placing the tray down on the coffee table. A knock came at the door signalling someone else had arrived. Filip left us and went to answer the door. Was is another family member, neighbor, or family friend?

An elder voice then came from the front door. "Hello, Filip, are you having a good day?" they asked.

"I'm fine, dad. Is mum coming?" He said mum as well, so that's why my dad has always pronounced it like that, his habit did wear off on me and Noah as well. Europeans must just say it differently, especially the English.