Chapter 7 - Nicolas

I was not surprised by how I was woken up, Noah had come downstairs and whacked me with a metal spoon. My eyes widened as I woke up in shock from the impact on my skull, that little twerp was going to get it. He's thirteen for crying out loud, shouldn't he be more mature? It was the least of my worries right now though, my mum had opened the curtains, the sun was blinding me.

"Gah," I mumbled, "What in tarnation is this? Shouldn't we be allowed to sleep longer, mum?"

She looked back from the window, the curtains in her hands. Her eyes were somewhat red, we must have kept her up last night with the screaming. She looked at me and then scowled before shutting the drapes again and stalking off, her a-line skirt flapping around her legs. Why was she mad at me? Just because I wanted to sleep longer? It didn't matter to me anymore, grogginess was trapping me in it's cage again. I could feel the cool touch from a bar actually, my mind just made dreams become realistic before I could fall asleep. I rolled onto my side and snuggled up to the side of the couch, that is, until I felt it start to hug me back. I screamed and pushed myself away, startled by the action. I opened my eyes to see Aster with his eyes wide open in surprise, like he had just saw the music video Wrecking Ball.

"What just happened?" he asked, a little bit dazed.

"You hugged me! That's not okay! You know I don't like hugs!" I shouted. The others started to stir around us. Molly shifted and rolled her back up against my leg, a loud snort came from her as she dozed back off into a dream.

"Nic, shut up. Can't we sleep?" Brent asked, a bit irritated at me. His glare wasn't the most pleasant either, after a moment of silence he went back into his sleeping bag and started to snore only moments later.

I sighed and lied back on the thick carpet, my arms had gotten cold and I was still deprived of my precious sleep. I pulled the brown and white quilt up to my neck and then turned to face Molly's back, her black hair had been braided into two pigtails when I had left apparently, the ties were a hot pink with gold thread stitched through them. I yanked the quilt over my head hoping to block out the sunlight trying to break through the curtains. Thudding came from the kitchen, why wouldn't Noah respect that my friends and I wanted to sleep? A sudden thud of a spoon hitting me in the temple made me lose it.

"NOAH! I'm going to kill you!" I ripped the blanket off of me and got to my feet to chase after the damned child. Austin, Brent, Tammy, and Gwen groaned, getting pissed at me for yelling. He started running towards the back door, I was hot on his heels. These little games had to stop, he had to act more mature or else our parents will send him to military school. He had already escaped into our foggy backyard. The fog was somewhat okay, I could see some things far away depending on the color, it felt thin as I entered it. Dew and dirt started to stick to the bottom of my bare feet as I walked out into the cool morning. A flash of red went behind the gray shed, Noah shouldn't have worn such a bright color.

I darted towards the shed, picking up a fallen tree branch as I went. He glanced at me and bolted for the fence. He grabbed the top of the fence and started to pull himself up, it didn't help that it was six feet tall and a bunch of spiked wooden boards, to top it off the wood was slippery from the moisture. As he tried, mud was smeared all over the nice, smooth cherry wood. I still gained ground, getting closer and closer with each step. Noah hoisted himself again in an attempt to escape my goal to murder him with a two inch diameter stick, this time he was able to jump and succeed. I jumped up and looked over the fence to see him on the ground, he was lying on his back, his breathing labored.

"I'll just destroy you later," I sighed and walked back inside; I grabbed a towel out of the laundry room and wiped off the dirt on my feet. The sound of small talk reached my ear, it seemed everyone was awake now. I entered the living room to see everyone awake, they still seemed tired. A few had violet bags under their eyes, some others having red eyes from a bad night's sleep. "Morning, guys," I said in a friendly tone. They all stared at me, anger and irritation in their eyes. "What's wrong?" I asked, tilting my head slightly to the side.