Chapter 13 - Nicolas

It was quiet as my parents, Noah and I walked out the doors of the airport into the chilly afternoon. Snow was lightly falling onto the cement below us as we made our ways to the parking lot to meet our ride.

I was going to meet my uncles Anasztáz and Filip Dalca. Anasztáz was married to a woman named Flóra, they had a daughter named Gabi. Filip was engaged to a girl named Franciska, Uncle Filip was only twenty-seven years old so having a fiancé didn't bring him any pity. Sure, I have video-chatted with them, but I never met them in person. They did live in the USA for a couple months too, but they left way before I was even born. They returned to Hungary and planed to stay there after meeting their loved one.

I looked ahead of us to see a man in a dark brown trench coat, his shoulder-length black hair also helped me recognize him right away.

"Uncle Anasztáz! How are you?" I called to him with a beaming smile on my face. I really didn't care if I showed off my stained teeth.

He looked in my direction as we approached, a stern look was apparent on his face. His almost white skin folded into three lines on his forehead as his eyebrows pressed together in a knotted bunch of furry black caterpillars. His eyes were blended too well with the white of his eyes, the blue was way too light. It seemed his features were quite square and angular as well considering the Frankenstein forehead and the large square jaw with the tiny cleft chin below his thin lips.

"I'm quite fine, Nicolas. Your dad told me you made some 'friends.'" He glanced at my dad with an exasperate look in his cold eyes, no smile whatsoever. I thought Anasztáz was a happy man, at least he was two years ago when we video chatted. He just stayed silent as he took our luggage and shoved it into the small space of the black vehicle. After a few minutes we got into the car, My dad sitting in the front with Uncle Anasztáz while my mum, Noah, and I were trapped in the back together.

I looked over to my mother to see her eyes fixed on her husband, there was worry in them, not for him, but for her safety here most likely. You don't see an African American often in Hungary, right? Sure, people tan easily, but my mother is considered black due to how dark her skin is, I've only seen people here having heavy tans that look as if they only poured tanning lotion all over themselves.

Noah on the other hand was pressing his face against the window like a little kid. What was I saying? He was a kid in a 13-year old's body, boys at that age were way more mature than him. I looked out the window as well to see what he was looking at. Just one look took my breath away.

The buildings were majestic, you could see every detail in every little design, the smooth edges where the arches or roofs curved, the colorful pictures in the stain glass. It was memorizing, the little black details looked so beautiful on the beige and tan buildings. I seriously almost thought all of these buildings were Gothic Catholic churches because of how beautiful they were.

A grunt was heard from the driver's seat, I glanced back at my uncle to see him looking at me in the rear-view mirror, he quickly shifted his eyes back to the road. Why didn't he like me? Was it something about my dad or about my mum possibly?

We turned a corner and entered a more slum area of the city, along the sides of the road were seven-foot doors with a three digit number right below each peephole. The buildings they were attactched to went up three floors with two windows on each. They still had the Gothic look, but they weren't that attractive like the ones downtown.

Anasztáz turned into a driveway and parked the car. Right as the engine turned off we all jumped out of the car and grabbed our luggage; when my dad handed me my bags I felt as if I was going to topple over. I headed towards the door to be greater by a tall blonde woman holding an infant. She had light brown hair that just reached her shoulders while the child in her arms had a thin layer of black hair covering her tan head.

"Hello, Nicolas," the woman said in a monotone voice. By the looks of it, she wasn't happy that her husband's family was here.

"Hi, Aunt Flóra, is Gabi doing well?" I asked quietly, the little girl was sleeping, I didn't want to wake her.

"She's fine." Flóra said before walking over to Anasztáz. With her gone the door started to shut and hit me in the shoulder as I struggled with pulling my luggage through the door. My left shoulder started to sting from the impact. She could be so rude.

The interior looked calm and simple, white walls and white carpeting. I kicked off my shoes onto the plastic matt and continued into the small living room. There was a gray couch to the right side of the room with a spiral staircase next to it with a window shining light onto it and the couch. There was a blue floral rug in between the couch and a small, black television. I looked back to the redwood stairs, they looked pretty slick and I was only in socks. How was I going to get my bags upstairs?!

"Take off your socks and carry one bag at a time, keep the bag over your head." My dad said as he came in behind me.

"I won't fall, right?"

"It's a fifty-fifty chance, the worst that can happen is if you stumble a few steps."

"Okay." I put my smaller bag on my back and pulled off my white socks, they had little dirt stains on the heel and ball of them. I then made my way up the stairs and up to the next floor. I stepped off at the stop point on the spiral stairs and set my bag on the bright wooden floor. I then headed back down. I glanced up quickly to see that the stairs also led to the third floor, it made enough room for three more rooms in their little house. After carrying my other bag up the stairs, I sat down and stretched my arms. I wasn't used to carrying something so heavy, it weighed about fifty pounds in my opinion.

Everyone else soon got their stuff upstairs and soon we were all settled in our temporary rooms. The only downside, well, I had to share a room with Noah.

"Hey, Nic, think I can do a back flip off of this bed?" Noah asked as he began to stand up on the bed.

"No, now get down and get ready for dinner. We are going to Uncle Filip's house tonight for a family reunion. I don't think we all want to meet at the hospital for it."

"Fine," he slumped back down to sitting on the queen-sized bed. It looked old, sure the bed frame was just a metal frame, but the comforteer was a purple floral pattern, the flowers on it were white dasies. I grabbed my chosen clothes and went to the bathroom to change. I walked into the small navy and white tiled room and began to change into the dress and shoes I had chosen. I slipped into the light blue sleeveless flounce dress and then slipped on my white flats, I could do my hair and makeup in the bedroom.

I returned and put on a white lace cardigan and my silver locket, a gift from my parents when I turned seven. I put my hair into a loose bun with a small pinch of hair still sticking out with a white tie. The makeup was a simple shade of a nude eyeshadow and a pink lip gloss. I was now ready for tonight. Everyone met up downstairs in the living room before going. Now I would be able to finally meet my Uncle Filip. He was the only person I haven't met yet in the family. Nothing will go wrong, right?

###

I am sooooo sorry for not writing in a long time! Forgive me please! Hopefully you enjoyed this chapter even though it was short and not well written. I am so so so so sorry!!!!! A lot more will happen next time, okay? :)