Chapter 10 - Nicolas

I ran across the grassy field, my feet (or should I say paws) pressing into the damp dirt. Taylor was right in front of me, he was quick and rarely stopped to see if I was still behind him. I picked up my pace to catch up once he jumped over a river, the sound of frogs and crickets silenced as I followed his suit.

We arrived to a small man made shelter under a big oak. The roof consisted of branches tied together with leaves from the trees surrounding it. There was a small hole in the front of it, it had to be the door, there was no other way in. Taylor looked back at me, he nudged the entrance way with his black nose. Apparently he wanted us to go in.

I did a slight nod before walking off into the bushes with my bag tied around my neck. When I transformed. My pants had apparently slid off since my hips shrunk instead of growing, so they were lost when we ran off. My shirt had also ripped since my rib cage jutted out so far as a werewolf as well. The only good thing though about being a werewolf is that my eyes turned a bright amber and my fur was a mix of gold and bronze fur, talk about awesomeness!

I transformed back and pulled out the clothing from the bag. It wasn't the best choice for the weather, it was chilly so a tank top and yoga pants would not work well. I slipped them on along with my other required clothing and walked back out to meet up with Taylor.

"So what's this place? A hideout?" I asked.

"Well, kinda. It's an outpost for us to hide in while checking for unwelcome guests. If any vampires or other venomous monsters come then we attack them while the third person makes their way back to the pack."

"Ah, I see." I walked over and tapped one of the twigs stuck in the tied wall. "So who's the other person here?"

"Danielle will be here shortly," Taylor replied while scratching his head. I think he mumbled something about fleas.

"So I'm not the only werewolf girl?"

"Nope, anyone pass the age of sixteen can be turned by being bitten and then killing a vampire by the next full moon. It's pretty easy in my opinion."

"So, what happens to anyone below sixteen?"

"They die. Simple as that." He said before walking into the hideout. He popped his head back out a second later and looked at me. "Are you going to come in or not?"

I took a step up onto the root of the tree before hoisting myself up to get inside the structure. The inside looked a lot like the outside of it, everything was made of twigs bound by ropes. Cracks of light filled in the tiny slivers and created abstract patterns on the earth floor.

"This is cozy, but how do you see outside to know if an enemy is getting close?"

"We use these," he tossed me a small knife and demonstrated how to look out. It was as simple as putting the blade through two of the sticks and slightly pushing them apart.

"Oh, so techy." I said sarcastically.

"Hey, you'll like this better later on. And plus, they have been coated in Holy Water, vampires are still considered Satan's creation."

"So we stab them with a knife? I thought it was a stake."

"Stakes aren't that effective," he said as he peered out to the other side.

"What about a werewolf bite, plain holy water, the effects of the sun, garlic?"

He looked at me with an alarmed eye. Before I could answer he had covered my mouth and pushed me down onto the ground. The sound of twigs and leaves came to my ears, a few snaps or crunches from here to there. They couldn't see in, right?