May (Part Two)

"When I call your name please sit down in your designated seat," the invigilator calls out to the corridor full of students.

The A-level exams are finally about to start and all around me people are wired with nerves. Laura is stood next to me, biting away on her fingernail even though there is not much left to bite. Adam keeps tapping on his leg while looking around the corridor. Maddie keeps putting her hair up into a ponytail before then taking it down again, only to repeat that process a few moments later. Cory keeps asking me if I am okay, to the point where it has got really annoying.

"Yes I am fine. Now can you shut up so I hear can for my name being called," I snap at him after the one hundredth time of him asking me that question.

Laura is the first one to called in from our little group, followed then by me. I follow on behind Laura, taking my seat at a desk directly behind her. I watch quietly as the others make their way into the exam hall and take their seats a few rows behind me.

The first exam is the theory side of performing arts and tomorrow will be the practical. The nervous energy is practically buzzing around the room while everyone waits until they are instructed to open the exam paper.

The invigilator starts talking about all of the rules and how mobile phones are not permitted in the hall. It's nothing we haven't all heard a million times before but we sit in silence until they have finished.

"You may begin the exam," the invigilator finally says after about five minutes of talking and the hall is suddenly filled with the sound of paper being turned.

For a minute there is silence while everyone reads through the first question but the sounds of pens scribbling away onto the paper soon add more life in the room again. I manage to confidently answer the first few questions before eventually stumbling on some of the middle ones. I leave them for later and carry on making my way through the paper, filling in the answer I know and then going back to the ones I have left. Just in the last minute of exam am I able to finish answering the final question before we are told to put our pens down.

Quickly the exams are then collected from our desks and row by row we are told to leave the exam hall. The corridor outside of the exam hall soon becomes alive with the sound of chatter as people immediately begin to talk about what they've done.

"How did you find it?" Laura asks me once we are out of the room.

"Could've been better but it could have also gone worse," I tell her while keeping a look out for the other three. "What about you?" I ask her.

"I thought it went pretty well. If all the exams go like then I'm going to be happy," she tells me with a small laugh at the end.

A few minutes later the others meet us in the corridor. Nobody looks distraught about the exam so I guess that is a good sign. Maddie has tied her hair up into a bun on the top of her head though.

"How was it?" Laura asks them before I get the chance to.

"It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be," Maddie tells us while fiddling with a loose strand of her hair.

"I was happy with it although there was one question which I didn't have time to answer," Cory says as he walks over to stand next to me.

"All I know is that I've aced it," Adam tells us with a smug smile on his face.

"That's my boy," Laura practically cheers before pulling him in for a kiss.

Cory, Maddie and I stand there watching until they eventually pull themselves apart. We stand and chat for a little while longer before finally saying goodbye. Just because we have done one exam doesn't mean there aren't any more to revise for.