December (Part One)

The train station is packed full of people who are probably on their way to their families to spend Christmas with them. We included. Somehow, I have got roped into going down to London to visit Cory's parents with him. Something they sprung on just before they left after visiting for his birthday.

"Before we leave, we were wondering what you planned for Christmas?" Mrs Stevens asks, pulling her handbag over her shoulder.

"Err nothing yet, I don't think," Cory says, looking at me for confirmation.

"Perfect, you can come down and visit us. Stay for the week between Christmas and New Year. All of you should come," she says, extending her invitation to myself and my mum.

"Thank you so much. That is very kind of you, we'll try and arrange what we can," my mum replies, looking flustered.

"Yeah that sounds great. We'll see you then," Cory says, before leading his parents and sister out of the front door to say a final goodbye.

"How do we get out of this one?" I ask my mum, not believing that we are actually going to go to London for Christmas.

"I don't think we can," is all she mutters before walking away.

It was nice of them to invite us over but there is only so much of his parents I can take. His father is nice enough but it is mainly his mother who drives me insane. When she stayed over for Cory's birthday, she complained that Missy didn't have a proper bed to sleep in (she slept in Erin's room, in the bay window while we moved Erin's cot into our room). My mum slept on the sofa for the entire week that they were over and never complained (not to their faces anyway). If Mrs Stevens wasn't complaining about the sleeping arrangements, then she was criticising the decor of the house or the way I was looking after Erin. There was always something wrong.

The only time I appreciated her being here was when she and her husband said they would look after Erin on Cory's birthday so we could go out with our friends. That was a nice gesture from then.

Now though, I have a bag packed and I am sat on a crowded platform, waiting for our train. Just Cory and I are traveling today (along with Erin) as my mum still has work one more day before breaking up for Christmas. She will be getting the train tomorrow, on Christmas Eve and meeting us there.

"Finally the train is here. Hopefully they will let us on soon. It's freezing out here," Cory says, his breath visible as he talks.

"Let's hope so," I say back, picking up the car seat which Erin is sat in. On top of her bald head is a red woolly hat, keeping her warm along with the blanket that is wrapped around her (and the many layers of clothes).

I watch as people leave the train, suitcases in hand and heading towards the stations exit. There are some families with excited children who are running all over the place, nipping in and out of adults' legs. Some people look like they have traveled alone, not talking to anyone in sight, probably meeting families.

A few minutes of waiting occurs before we are finally allowed on the train. Luckily we have managed to reserve seats around a table so we have more room for Erin's stuff compared to the normal two seats.

"I'll put her next to the window. Do you want to sit next to her or should I?" Cory asks, placing the car seat on which Erin is sat in, on the seat next to the window.

"You can if you want," I say, plopping myself down the other window seat, opposite of Erin. "Do you think she will sleep through the journey?" I ask, looking at the sleeping baby across from me.

"She's been fed so hopefully. It will be interesting to see how this goes," Cory comments, stroking the side of Erin's face.

It's the first time I've taken her on any kind of public transport. Most places I take her are close enough to walk and if we have gone anywhere further, then that's normally in the car with my mum. She's never been on a bus or train, or even a journey this long.