March (Part One)

The noise and bustle of the classroom fills my ears as people are chattering away. It is a Friday morning and I am sat in tutor as Reynolds talks to the class about the importance of the upcoming exams, as if we don't already know. Sounds of background chatter fill my ears as people talk between themselves, not really listening to him. Our table included.

Laura leans over the table, pushing her work to one side, so we can hear her better. "I found out this morning that I get to be in charge of the fashion show," her voice is quiet as she tells us but is full of excitement at the same time.

"That's great love," Adam tells her, kissing her forehead.

"Yeah it is. Anyway I'm currently looking for models," she leaves the sentence hanging in mid-air, waiting for us to fill in the gaps.

Around the table I see that nobody is making eye contact with Laura. Adam has suddenly become interested in is work while Maddie is inspecting her nails with a ludicrous amount of attention. Cory seems to be doing what I'm doing which is looking around the table but avoiding eye contact with Laura.

"Come on guys. All you would have to do is come to a couple of fittings, a rehearsal and then walk up and down and you're done. I'm not asking you to do the backstage stuff which will take up more time. Although I am looking for volunteers to help with-"

"I'm sorry Laura but I really don't have the time to help out. You know I would if I could," I interrupt her to say.

"Okay, so Kristen's out. What about the rest of you?" she looks at the other's sat around the table with eager eyes.

Maddie looks up from her nails and looks at Laura for a moment. "I'll do it. I'm not as busy as the others so I don't really have an excuse not to take part."

"Thank you so much," Laura almost screams which grabs the attention of Reynolds at the front of the class.

"Miss Lace will you quieten down please?" he asks looking in Laura's direction.

Laura nods her head at him before turning her attention back towards us. "Are you two sure you can't help?" she turns her attention towards Cory and Adam.

"I've told you before that I can't. I'm either working or looking after Taylor," Adam tells her.

"And I have Erin," Coy says.

"Fine, fine. Well Maddie is now my favourite person here," Laura shrugs her shoulders at us.

"Are you saying that I wasn't your favourite beforehand?" Maddie asks with a laugh.

The conversation subject soon changes from the fashion and back to exams. The sound of the bell ringing gets our attention causing us to leap out of our seats and head into the direction of the cafeteria.

There are children running up and down the corridors as they make their way into the cafeteria. Their footsteps thump against the floor as they barge against people who are in their way.

"Why are the year sevens always running? Can't they walk anyway?" Adam asks as a little kid pushes past him.

"You would think that all the food was going to run out," I comment as I sit down at a table, taking my own lunch out of my bag. "It makes me glad I only have to lunch here one day a week," I tell everyone.

After a few minutes of sitting around the table (and Laura talking about what possible themes the fashion show should have) I feel my phone buzz in my pocket.

You want to meet tonight? – J

I read the message again even though there's not much to read.