Chapter 21

Apparently Miko's idea of turbo charging the ground bridge got something in Ratchet's brain ticking, because he's been "tinkering" with it as he says. Raf has been helping him test it with toy cars, but they haven't had any luck. Last night, Ratchet got a message from someone named Starscream. I recognized the name, so I had eavesdropped on his conversation with Bulkhead.

I heard the ground bridge activate in the middle of the night. I knew Ratchet was going to talk to Starscream, but I couldn't seem to sleep again. I turned onto my side and looked at Rosie as she and Raf cuddled. I wondered if that's what i look like when I sleep. I sighed and sat up, cracking my neck. I swung my legs over the side of the bed and looked down at my feet.

"Are you okay?" A voice whispered.

I gasped and looked up at Bumblebee's blue optics as they glowed in the dark. I put a hand over my chest and took a deep breath before looking back up at him.

"Sorry. Didn't mean to startle you." He said quietly as he sat up from his berth.

"That's okay." I whispered. "Why are you up?"

"I could ask you the same thing." He said as he stood.

I smiled and stepped into his outstretched hand. "I heard the ground bridge. Can't fall asleep again." I answered.

"The ground bridge? Are you sure you didn't just dream about it?" He said as we walked into the hallway.

I shook my head. "Ratchet got a message from someone called Starscream. I heard him and Bulkhead talking about it earlier." I said.

"What?" Bee's voice was tense with concern.

"He said to come alone and to bring a med kit. I heard something about him having useful information for us about Optimus." I continued.

"Why didn't Ratchet tell us?" Bee wondered aloud.

"Starscream said to come alone." I repeated.

"And he listened?" Bumblebee started walking toward another of the large doors. He slowly and quietly opened it and looked inside, turning on the headlights on his chest. It was a berth room. An empty berth room. Bee sighed with relief.

"Bulkhead must of went with him. You said Ratchet was talking about it with him, right?" Bee looked down at me.

I nodded. "That makes me feel better." Bumblebee said.

"So why are you awake?" I asked.

He hesitated. "Bad dream."

"Oh. Wanna talk about it? Raf used to have nightmares a lot. He said it made him feel better to talk about it." I suggested.

Bumblebee hesitated again, and I grew curious. "I dreamt that Megatron snuck into base. He was looking for Optimus' room, but he found ours instead. He saw you and Raf and took you both. I couldn't move, I tried but I couldn't move, I couldn't even yell out a warning. He looked at Raf and decided he was useless to him, so he threw him up in the air and let him fall. But... He did take you. Then he found Optimus and killed him. He killed everyone but me. I was all alone. Everyone was gone and I still couldn't move. I felt so useless." He sighed.

That sounded terrible. I looked up at my guardian and gave him a small smile. "It was only a dream. Raf and I are fine, everyone is fine. We'll get Optimus back and we'll be a whole family again. I know that if Megatron ever does anything like that, I'll be safe with you."

"But I couldn't the last time. You weren't safe, you were hurt. I'm your guardian, I'm supposed to keep you safe." He argued.

I sighed. "Bumblebee, we talked about this. Nobody's perfect. It was just one little mishap."