Chapter 16

After our little chat, Bumblebee was called to help Optimus with Arcee and Bulkhead. I sat on the couch, worrying my mind out. I still had to take more breathes, and that worried me too. What's wrong with me? Let me rephrase that, what isn't wrong with me? I didn't get long to think about it before my attention was drawn away by Arcee's voice over the comm link.

"Ratchet, what happened?"

He didn't get to answer as he was interrupted by another. "I happened." I didn't recognize the voice but he sounded like a smoker.

"Megatron." Bulkhead said.

"King Kong's there too?" Miko asked.

"He has alined himself with Unicron." Ratchet said, disgusted.

"Don't be so sure. Megatron just saved Optimus's tailpipe." Arcee countered.

"What?" Ratchet gasped. He went unanswered and we continued to listen.

"It is rather surprising, considering our last encounter. If memory serves, you were desperately trying to extinguish my Spark." Megatron said.

"That option is still very much in play." Optimus said.

"I would expect nothing less." Megatron's voice was louder now, probably closer. "However, I have a proposal: join me in defeating our shared enemy; Unicron the Chaos Bringer."

"Ha! Upsurd." Ratchet scoffed. "Unicron is evil incarnate. If Megatron was to take any side, why ours?"

"Because Megatron's pride would never allow anyone but himself to rule this planet." Optimus said.

"You know me all too well, Optimus." Megatron said.

"You lead an army of Cons, why come to us?" Bulkhead asked.

"Because this particular endeavor requires something beyond the realm of my command." Megatron replied. "The power of a Prime."

"Huh, then I guess we don't need you then." Bulkhead said. You tell em Bulk.

"On the contrary, Optimus maybe the only one who can defeat Unicron. But I remain the only one who can guide you to him." Megatron came back. "Unicron's life force flows through me. Only I can hear his thoughts, anticipate his movements. Optimus, our past alliances, Autobot, Decepticon, no longer matter. Not while Unicron lives."

Ratchet slammed his fist down, the sound making me jump slightly. "The past always matters." He yelled. I gasped at his raised voice and Jack put his hand on my shoulder to calm me down. I gave him a thankful nod and a smile.

"A truce between Autobot and Decepticon." Optimus said. "How long do you expect us to believe that will last?"

"Only as long as is beneficial." Megatron replied.

"And when our proposed shared mission is complete?"

"I will conquer this earth. My way." Megatron's voice intensified.

"Brutal honesty from a Decepticon?" Arcee didn't sound convinced.

"Lining with the lesser of two evils is still siding with evil." Ratchet sounded pissed off.

"Do you think you've seen the full power of Unicron?" Megatron asked. "Those foot soldiers were nothing more than a taste. Unicron is yet to fully awaken. With each passing moment the Bringer of Chaos evolves, mutating Earth from the inside out. What we have witnessed was just a prelude of the utter devastation his rising will wreak upon your world."

Raf backed into me, and I kneeled down on one knee and drew him closer to me. "Like your quest for power destroyed Cybertron?" Arcee snapped.

"Make no mistake! This time there will be a planet left for me to rule." Megatron's voice grew louder.