12. Start All Over

The stars seemed to align in the sky so nicely; literally. They entranced him, almost like nothing he'd seen before. Well..maybe except one. Naruto climbed the face of the building the siblings called their home. Hoping to find the one person he'd want there. Sitting by himself, back turned away from him, Naruto watched Gaara's hair dance as the wind caught it slightly.

As he came closer, he noticed Gaara turn his head slight left, letting himself catch Naruto in his peripheral vision. Naruto noticed the small movement; acknowledging to him that Gaara knew of his presence. He was shaking; it had his legs almost in a jelly state. He feared if he didn't sit down soon, he'd loose his footing and fall. Slowly, he placed a shaking hand on the roof and lowers himself next to the redhead, who was still silent.

Gaara finally looked at him, Naruto feeling his green eyes slowly sinking into every part of his body, making himself feel about twin inches tall under his scrutiny.

"Why? Why did you bother coming back?" Gaara pressed.

"I... it's.. I uh...," the words wouldn't come out. He was beginning to get lost within himself and with in the gaze from the one person who could actually get him to shut up.

"That's what I thought," Gaara muttered as he dropped his gaze and lowered his head, letting his chin rest on his crossed arms that layer to rest on his knees. "Anything else you'd like to say?"

"Y..y..you..shower..s..s..smell," Naruto stuttered, internally slapping himself for his stupidity. He saw Gaara grimace, and hoist himself up and off the roof, disappearing somewhere within the confines of his home.

Naruto followed, hoping to find him somewhere, anywhere to try and fix, yet again, another one of his mistakes, when he came to a room. Small, quite and somewhat bare looking. Being himself, Naruto decided to snoop a little; investigate.

Laying on top of a dresser he found two pictures. How still they were almost haunted him; the happiness that was set in them. The first was one of a man,who looked like an older version of Kankuro, a small blonde women who appeared to be with child, and two little children on the floor; a little boy and a little girl.

The next made his stomach churn. The happiness for the last one disappeared and in its place was hatred and disdain for life itself. There was the older man sitting on the couch. Anger held heavily in his eyes. Off alone to one side of a small table were one little brown haired boy and one little blonde girl. The small woman in the picture was gone, and on her place a small red headed boy.

Placed beside the pictures sat a old ragged teddy. Fragile and brown, it held soft eyes and a quaint smile. He recongnized the bear form the second picture he say. Gaara's only friend when he was little.

"You sure are a genuine grade A idiot aren't you! And why are you snooping in his room!"

Naruto jumped a foot, not expecting to have anyone around. "Kankuro! You scared the hell out of me."

Temari sighed and paced forward, grabbing Naruto jacket, balling it into her fist. "Listen here, brat. We gave you a chance to make things right with him and all you did was mess up. It's time you leave."

"Leave? I can't!"

"And why not," Kankuro called out; arms crossed.

"I still need to make things right."

"You had the chance," Temari began, tightening her grip on his jacket, " and you messed it up by speaking."

"Please..," he begged.

Temari loosened her grip, "tell me what you'd say to him. If we like what you say we'll consider giving you a redo."

"Sis, you can't be serious," Kankuro was beyond himself; not believing they'd be giving him a third chance.

"Unfortunately, Kankuro, I am. For some reason he's fond of this little knucklehead."

Kankuro mentally slapped himself; My sister...has officially lost her damn mind.