4. New State of Mind

*Narutos POV*

"WHAT! You cannot be serious! THAT'S my mission? Chauffeuring you around your own village."

"Yes. Is that going to be a problem?"

"Well..no but wouldn't it have made more sense to have someone from you own village escort you around?" he asked sheepishly while scratching the back of his head.

"It would, but I know where your alliance lies. I know I can fully trust you with my life. Now that there's no problems, Go grab dinner and meet me back here in an hour and I'll show you were you'll be staying the Whole you're here." what Gaara did next suprised everyone in the room, except Naruto. He smiled.

He didn't understand why, but seeing Gaara essentially stare right through him made him nervous and yet kind of giddy; like the way he gets, or should I say now used to get, around Sakura. He didn't know why but seeing Gaara sit there and smile, and actual smile of real joy sent his stomach into knots. Being able to know that the reason his beautiful green eyes were shining was because of him, it made Naruto feel like he was on cloud nine. He felt almost, dare he say, in love?

Whoa Naruto! What's gotten into you? Why am I thinking like that? You can't possibly have those kind of feelings. It's Gaara for God sake! You've seen him smile more than anyone and you've never gone this goofy before.

*One hour later*

"Alright! I'm all fueled up and ready to go! Let's get this done! What are we going to an doing, Gaara?"

"Nothing but a walk around really. I know you've seen the village, but I'd like to to really see the village. Understand, Naruto?"

Naruto just nodded his head in agreement and began to follow Gaara's pace down the hallway.

"Oh, by the way Naruto, please try and keep Matsuri and her friends at bay. I'd like to be at peace tonight."

Walking in content, fangirls at bay, Gaara showed him all he could see of the village. From his old shack he used to hide out from everyone as a kid, to the little lake he used to sit at and think of his mom. It was all the things that were a part of him. For once in his life, Naruto remained silent. He understood how personal this was to Gaara, how much trustbhe must of had to show him the intimate parts of who he was and what his former self was like.

It gave Naruto a new understanding of just who Gaara was. At first meeting he believed Gaara to be a self obsessed brat with no disregard for anyone. He understood he had been discarded as an equal and even a person, but he had not been the only one. Naruto could never understand why he would feel that way. It was only because Naruto ended with people surrounding him. Naruto never denied Gaara's reasoning for what he did. In fact he always thought Gaara had it more rough. At least the ones Naruto depended on never tried to assassinate him nor did he ever have his father or siblings look at him with utter disdain. In these moments in life standing side by side with Gaara, he'd rather he not know his family than live with one that essentially threw him away.

*Still Naruto's POV*

Man, I never realized just how much his life differed. I thought our pasts were almost one in the same, but man oh man was I wrong. I mean I get it now. Like I really get it. I'm just amazed how much he let himself grow from it. I know everyone tells me how amazing my reseliance is but I never hear anyone comment on Gaara's. He's just as amazing, if not more.

As he lifted his previously downcast gaze up, he noticed Gaara sitting under a tree. Nothing but a look of nostalgia as he looked over the blue lake. He couldn't help but feel in awe of just how amazing it was to see him so content and still. There was just something about watching Gaara's green eyes dance as the moonlight from the lake reflected off.

Something in the air felt different. A feeling that he never felt strongly before. There was an aura around Gaara he couldn't place. Not that he didn't like the feeling, it was just amiss. He seemed more human, a man of mixed emotion. Taking a chance, he took his place next to the fair skinned boy, taking in everything Gaara was. His beautiful green eyes, the moon dancing on them. His pale skin, reflecting the shadows of the trees as they lightly shook from the breeze. Watching a few leaves fall from the top, Naruto takes in one last aspect of Gaara.

Man, his lips look amazing. They look so soft and so light. Like I could hold him in my arms and kiss him all day. Wait, wha..d..did I just think about ҡɨssɨռɢ Gaara! Good God! What's going on with me lately. N..not that I don't like this feeling per say, I just can't understand why, but seeing him like this, I could get used to it.