chapter 33

The sun was setting earlier. A soft autumn breeze stroked my skin, making me shudder.

I pulled my cardigan tighter around me, covering my chest against the colder weather.

Although the sun wasn’t up too high in the sky, it still wasn’t setting either. At a rough estimate, we would have two hours until the darkness would engulf us. Or maybe less, I had never been good at guessing things.

I didn’t want to spend any time in this lonely park. If you listened closely, you could hear the bugs crawling in the bushes. I shuddered.

My right foot made contact with a branch and broke it in half, letting a clicking noise fill the air around me. Although my apperception knew it was my doing, I still jumped. My hair stood on end and I got quiet anxious.
I never had a problem with the dark or imaginations that our mind liked to make up in order to scare us. It wasn’t even the park that scared me that much, although I could swear I felt eyes glued on me.

No, the fear of something going wrong was nagging at the back of my mind, making me eerily aware of possible dangers I used to ignore so easily.

On a happier note, today I would see Gemma again. I’ve barely talked to her but I was really looking forward to the reunion of brother and sister.

I was ten minutes too early – yes, I was too early. Lisa had already texted me to mark this day in my calendar because it wouldn’t occur again anytime soon.

My pace slowed down when I reached the part of the park Harry told me he would meet his sister. It was in the very north, distant from anything living. Except of the bugs, obviously.

The path took a slight turn and led through two huge maple trees. I mentally gave myself a pat on the back for recognizing these trees.

Just as my feet touched the grass at the end of the path, indicating I had reached the area with a few benches, my eyes saw a figure pacing around in circles, oblivious to the world around her.
I squinted my eyes and could make out blonde hair and a model’s figure. Gemma kept walking, nearly running, in small circles. Worry and uncertainty were evident in every step she took.

I wished I could just walk up to her and swing my arms around her fragile body, but I couldn’t risk her seeing me.

Not that I had a secret plan or something, but she just shouldn’t know I was here.

My initial plan was actually to cross the area with the wood benches and step out at the other end of the park, watching the reunion from a safe distance, but I couldn’t do this anymore so I quickly changed my plan and decided to stay behind one of the maple trees.

It was still too early and I was afraid Gemma would go insane, waiting for her little brother.

I kept watching her, staying carefully out of sight. The clock ticked like a bomb and I was just as worried and uncertain as Gemma seemed to be.

Soft footsteps approached my hiding spot and a deep, and very familiar, voice spoke right behind me. “Zoey, is she there?”

I didn’t turn around. “Yeah, she’s waiting.”

Harry sighed. “I can’t do this.” He stepped closer, his chest pressed to my back as he slid his arms around my waist, hugging me from behind. His chin fell on my shoulder and his hot breath fanned my neck. He stiffened and I assumed he had seen Gemma.

His chin left my shoulder. I turned my head to watch him reposition himself, standing up straight. I’ve known Harry for a few weeks now, but only in this moment I noticed he leaned to the right while standing up.