chapter 17

He stared at me with wide eyes.

I briefly wondered if there was anything in my face but I guessed Lisa would have warned me.

Speaking of Lisa, her eyes momentarily flickered to Harry and she unconsciously took a step back. Harry didn't notice and Mrs. Meyer was still talking to Lisa, oblivious to everything around her.

"It's been some time. I-I wanted to call you but I-" Harry began rambling but my patience was wearing thin.

"Look, it's okay. I know it's hard to understand the situation, it's not easy for anyone involved."

He blinked his eyes in confusion. "Wh-What?"

I pointed at Leo who was standing next to Mrs. Meyer. "My son."

Harry took a step back as if I had slapped him. "Your... your son?" He half-whispered.

I opened my mouth to continue my little game of prey and predator but Mrs. Meyer's laughter stopped me from doing any more harm. "You're usually not that easily fooled, my dear," she said, looking at Harry.

Lisa bit down on her bottom lip to keep from laughing. Harry looked from Leo to Mrs. Meyer and finally his eyes settled on me. They were filled with confusion and panic before transforming into understanding and relief. I laughed out laugh, easing the tension but said nothing.

Mrs. Meyer noticed the awkward silence and tried to lighten the mood. "Lisa, your cousin has drawn something for his parents. Would you like to take it home?" Lisa nodded. "Good. Follow me then. It's in the reading corner." The three of them left us alone, standing in the middle of the room.

I tried to determine Harry's mood. He watched me cautiously. "So, Mr. Styles. What have you been up to?"

Maybe, just maybe I shouldn't have said that shit about Leo being my son. Harry seemed kind of off now. Typically me, sometimes I just didn't know when to shut my mouth.

"What do you mean?" His eyes narrowed slightly. Jesus, was that boy bipolar?

"Your moods are giving me whiplash," I stated.

Harry considered my words for a moment before his eyes softened. "Look, Zoey, I'm sorry. I'm just trying to... No, never mind." I gave him a questioning look. "Okay, here's the thing: What did you hear on Tuesday?"

I gulped. "Nothing, I was too far away. Why?" I had to be careful now if I wanted to get any answers.

"Nothing. Stay out of it. For your own sake."

"Are you threatening me?" I crossed my arms in front of my chest.

When was Lisa coming back?

"No, I just want you to be safe." Now he was back to being nice again.

"Harry, I-" I intended to ask why he was behaving so weird ever since Sunday but I never got the chance. "Zoey?" The voice interrupting me didn't belong to Lisa. I turned around and saw George walking over to me.

His dark brown hair was its usual mess and his hazel brown eyes eradiated honesty and belonging. He was the entertainer in my circle of friends. I reached out to hug him but George quickly stepped aside and pressed a kiss on my cheek. "Hi baby," he greeted me. I laughed lightly. Since he was one of my closest friends, greeting me like this wasn't unheard of. I have known him for years and we were like siblings. Not like Lisa and her brother though.

George quickly scanned Harry and I wanted to introduce him but Harry beat me to it. "I'm Harry. You gotta be her boyfriend?" What?

Harry tried to keep a neutral expression but I could sense the anger in him. I wondered if he was talking about Louis and how he knew about him, I hadn't been out with him. We had only met at his place and at mine but never-