chapter 27

Heavy, regular breaths of air combed through the pregnant atmosphere, soothing the restless soul that fought its very own spiteful demons, and allaying the never ending blood supply the organ in the middle of my pulsing chest provided.

I drifted in and out of sleep, not entirely awake but not wholly asleep either.

My eyes flickered to the latent body lying so close to me, I could feel the heat radiating off.

In my foggy state, I lifted two fingers to trace his tattoos. Harry's chest was bare and toned as if he had been on a holiday trip to Egypt only days ago.

My mind replayed last night's events. He had kissed me, his lips soft and passionate, filled with so many emotions I couldn't identify. There was more to it than meets the eye.

My heart fluttered, having its own will. The way he had held me had sent me right to heaven but had made me live through hell at the same time.

That had been his only move, a few fervid kisses. We had sat in silence and had only spared a few words every now and then. The peaceful silence had been filled with many unspoken words but neither of us had dared to break it. My decision to stay the night had been fueled by his apprehensive behavior, no questions asked.

Now here I was, next to the man I still couldn't figure out. He was sound asleep, slightly snoring every now and then but otherwise sleeping like a baby. One hand was wrapped around my waist, holding me close as if he were afraid that I would disappear. I was covered in the clothes he had already lent me the previous night to sleep in.

I did not quite remember how we both ended up in his bed but I didn't mind. Quite the contrary, his proximity emanated a sense of belonging.

The last thing I remembered was the clock on the bedside cabinet displaying 1:57 am before sleep finally caught me once and for all.

_____________________

Riiiiiiing. Riiiiiiing. Riiiiiiing.

"Turn it off," I groaned, pulling a pillow over my head.

Harry chuckled next to me. "Good morning, sleeping beauty," he whispered in my ear, sending shivers down my spine.

I groaned again, dragging that bothersome noise this time.

"If I had known you slept that long, I wouldn't have let you sleep in," Harry said, his voice holding a playful note.

It took a few seconds until his words reached the center of my brain where they were analyzed until they finally made sense. I jolted upright, all sleepiness washing from my mind. "Sleep in?"

"It's noon, love."
"Noon?" Gosh, I was so slow in understanding his words.

"Yes. You didn't wake up when the alarm clock went off this morning and I didn't have the heart to wake you up. Lisa called and I picked up your phone – sorry for that – and told her you would stay at home today. She said something about using more facts?" His harmonic voice held a hint of confusion but continued in the cheerful tone he had used before. "Anyway, I called in sick today. We have the whole day to do whatever we want to."

I knew I should protest and tell him he just couldn't do that but his apologetic look stopped me from doing it. And, hands down, it wasn't as if I minded not going to college.

"What are your plans?" I asked, my eyes now wide open.

"You're going to get ready now and then we'll... Well, you'll see," he teased, a smirk visible on his pink lips.

"Deal," I grinned and got up, quickly stepping into the bathroom.

I got ready in less time than usually and even put on some make-up. I silently patted my shoulders, proud of myself for packing make-up to go to the library.