13 ; our souls will guide you

The cold air was unforgiving.

It burned Sage's lungs as he trotted amongst the field, his wolf sliding in and out of the trees. Leah was beside him, her white wolf shuffling minutely behind his own. They were both silent, ready for this day to be over with.

"I'll take left."  Leah spoke, moving towards the left side of the field.

Sage rumbled in agreement, stomping his paws into the ground and making it shake. Across the field, he could smell the rest of the pack. Quil and Embry flanking Jared, while Paul and Sam were diagonally across from them. Every angle was covered, besides the one Jacob would've been covering if he weren't on the mountain.

Amongst the wolves, were the Cullen's, minus Edward and Bella. They were standing in the middle of the field, with the tiny one, named Alice, in the middle. She was flicking her eyes from each side, calculating which direction the newborns would be coming from.

The wind whistled, and then Alice was speaking. "They're coming,"

As soon as the words left Alice's mouth, growls and snarls were heard throughout the field.

Sage turned around, watching as immortal bodies weaved in between the trees, oblivious of the wolves lurking. A young female ran by Sage, only for him to spring outwards, snapping his large jaws along her thigh.

The newborn shrieked as Sage threw her around by his teeth, and it was then that the newborns realized that they'd been trapped. Twenty began to disperse at once, moving past the thrashing and snarling wolves towards the field where the Cullen's awaited.

Sage threw his body around, ripping off marble limbs one by one. Newborns were shrieking, jumping from tree to tree in a chance of climbing onto Sage's back. Sage shook them off when they happened to land, dodging every few attacks on the ground and tearing limbs from bodies whenever he managed to get his jaw tight on them.

Running back and forth from Jacob's own area to his own, Sage watched as Leah chomped mercilessly onto the stomach of a male newborn. Snarls were leaving her mouth as she thrashed wildly, sending a few more newborns into the trunks of trees.

In the field, the Cullen's were fairing well. Their skills of fighting far more advanced than the wolves were. Despite this, no one in the pack seemed to be struggling with the newborns.

Quil was slamming them against the ground whenever they were close enough. Followed by Embry, whom was snapping limbs like they were popsicle sticks. Sam was like a black fog, darting across the field with thunderous footsteps, tip lip curled upwards to reveal his canine teeth. Paul and Jared were tag-teaming their kills, working together like a well oiled machine.

A loud howl echoed into the air, summoning nothing but heartbreak. Sage paused in his fighting, recognizing the howl as Jacob's. It was filled with grief, and it took Sage a moment to figure out over whom it was direct to.

The pack tie to Seth was loosening, getting fragile as the wolf on the other end was badly injured.  Sage felt the protective instincts inside of his body snap to attention, baring jagged teeth at the thought of a pup like Seth getting hurt.

A paternal instinct shifted in his brain, and before he could fully grasp the emotions, Sage was darting through the trees as he ran to collect his smaller pack member from danger.

"No!"  This was Sam's enraged snarl. "You can't go to the mountain! Sage!"

Ignoring Sam was as easy as phasing, and Sage blocked the alpha from his mind entirely. He weaved through the trees, clomping up snow underneath his paws as he went. His fur was wet as the wind blew, collecting white specks against his dark fur.