11 ; five senses

Birds chirped outside of Sage's window. Softly singing amongst the humming of the leaves as the trees swayed minutely. The outside world was oblivious to the boy inside of the small house, who was lying on his back in bed.

Sage Lucero was staring at the crack in the ceiling. Dark eyes, fanned by long black lashes, stared aimlessly around his bedroom. Beside him, his alarm was set to go off in two minutes, so he could get ready in enough time for work.

He could hear his mother in the bathroom down the hall, blow drying her hair from the shower she had taken earlier. She hadn't opened Sage's door to check on him like she normally does every morning after waking up. Which either means she knows Sage is safe inside of his bedroom or she knows that he doesn't want any human interaction that isn't necessary.

His alarm buzzes, blaring the news. Sage startles slightly, lifting his dark skinned arm to turn off his alarm. In spite of feeling like there's a rock is sitting on his chest, Sage gathers enough strength to get ready.

It was Saturday, which means he has an early shift. Monty just needed someone to man the shop while he took his kids to school. Sage was that man, well, that teenager for the job.

Dressing himself in some jeans, a loose robin egg colored T-shirt, and some white Converse, Sage left his bedroom. He smiled at his mother in the hallway, who just replied with the same expression but didn't attempt to converse.

Sage grabbed some waffles from the freezer, placing two in the toaster and shrugged against the counter. He pressed his forehead against the cool surface, letting out soft breaths until he turned to grab his hot waffles.

Grabbing the cinnamon from the cabinet above, Sage sprinkled the spice onto his waffles before placing them both on a napkin. He then walked towards the front door, grabbing his lanyard with his house key, before exiting the house.

Moving to the side of his house to grab his bike, Sage pedaled down the dirt road that led to Monty's. He steered with one hand, holding his two waffles in a napkin in the other. He ate as he rode, trying to distract his brain with anything he passed.

Every thing, it seemed, reminded Sage of Jacob. Possibly because every good memory that Sage has ever had, has included Jacob either in the forefront or in the background. Always beside Sage or in front of him, doing something unquestionably stupid but hilarious.

Sage had never noticed it before, but he's always been more aware of Jacob than anyone.

He could always sense Jacob's eyes. Could hear his laugh in a crowded room, could smell the scent of oil on Jacob's clothes, could taste Jacob's cheek every time he'd mockingly kissed it after teasing the other. Hell, Sage could feel Jacob's presence before he would actually see Jacob.

Jacob Black has always been Sage's five senses.

It took being away from the male for less than twelve hours to realize just how attuned to Jacob, Sage really was. Sage banished the thought immediately, turning his head to look both ways before crossing the road on his bike, finishing his second waffle.

Monty's plant nursery was in the nook of the La Push town. Made of glass and covered in many plants. Sage had made himself a second home out of this place, and he never tired of seeing it.

Placing his bike on the side of the plant nursery, Sage lifted one of the potted plants beside the front door, grabbing the set of keys there. He unlocked the nursery, turning to click the code into the security alarm before propping the door open with a wedge.

He opened the back door of the store, which led to the even bigger side of the plant nursery, for the plants that needed more sunlight than the others inside. Once that was accomplished, Sage stepped behind the front counter, bending down to grab the keys to the register, and opening it.