12 ; uwetsi

[PRE CHAPTER: sage isn't aware that jacob is the actual second-in-command yet. sage also doesn't know that jacob was supposed to be the alpha of the pack. so keep that in mind as you read - as it will be explained in later chapters. alright, enough rambling, enjoy!]

The woods were quiet as Sage's paws padded against the ground.

In the back of his mind, he could hear Leah and Seth bickering with one another as siblings normally did. The rest of the pack was in a somber mood, all set on training with the Cullens and leaving as soon as possible.

Sage was promptly ignoring Jacob, not at all ashamed that the other male could hear his thoughts of diversion. Though, he could feel Jacob's dark eyes on the side of his body every so often, just watching. It made Sage's wolf happy, while it made Sage's human side agitated by the sudden attention he wasn't used to receiving.

"Enough of your inner monologue,"  Leah's voice ground out in a melodramatic manner.  "Everyone in this pack knows about you and Jake's tedious love affair by now."

Despite how many times it happened, it was still strange to hear Leah's voice in the back of Sage's head like a second conscious.

"Love affair?"  This was Seth, his voice light and yippy like a puppy's.

"Thanks Leah,"  Jacob's voice growled out, annoyed.

"You're welcome,"  Was the female wolf's snappy reply. Filled with both mirth and slight regret.

They came across the place where the Cullen's had cleared. Their collective floral scents made Sage's wolf snarl inwardly in disgust. Sage's thoughts were agreed with at in the back of his mind, everyone in the pack thinking that the scents in the air were unsettling as well.

Sam was in the front of the pack, Paul and Jared flanking on either side of him. Sage and the others took place behind the second and third in commands, filling the gaps. Seth was beside Sage, his eyes watching the Cullens with innocent curiosity.

Blurring out the voices of the pack, Sage focused on what Carlisle was saying.

"Edward, can you translate?" Carlisle asked, motioning a bronze haired male forwards.

Sam took a moment to deliberate the first question he wanted to ask. Speaking freely in his mind. "I was informed by my pack that these vampires were different than the rest. How so?"

Edward nodded once, turning towards a blonde haired male. "They want to know how newborns differ from us, Jasper."

Stepping forwards, the blonde male began to speak, making eye-contact with each of the wolves individually. "They're a great deal stronger than us. It's because human blood is in their tissues. Our kind is never more psychically powerful then in our first seven months after the bite,"

Once Jasper was sure they understood his words, he stood taller and began to speak once more like an instructor. "That's why they were created. A newborn army doesn't need thousands like a human army, but no human could stand against them. The most important thing to remember are first: never let them get their arms around you. They'll crush you instantly. The second: never go for the obvious kill. They'll be expecting that. You will loose."

Instantly Sage's mind was filled with snorts and growls by the pack at the thought of ever being taken down by a vampire. Sage remained silent amongst the white noise, seeing the seriousness in Jasper's words. Sam wasn't speaking either, seeming to be digesting the words and taking them underneath consideration.

Once the wolves shushed, Edward nodded at Jasper, which had the male motioning towards a thicker male who was standing on the outskirts of the Cullen's circle.