Chapter Two

Elliot

They put me into an all white room. The only objects being a bed and a toilet. No windows and even the door blends completely into the wall. If I hadn't just come through it I'd think it wasn't there. There is one air duct on the ceiling, I pretty decent sized one. I'm surprised they would be so bold to place them in the rooms of psychotic criminals. It strikes me as odd.

On the way through the white hallways we passed a door with a sign that read, "Utilities, Employees Only KEEP OUT." It was 6 rooms away from the one they are keeping me in. Judging by its distance away from the doors on either side of it, I would say it is a fairly large room.

The psych institution is held separate from the actual prison and is much smaller so I'm willing to bet that the main power supply is located inside of that room. Now the average generator takes about 45 seconds to kick on after an outage, which is just enough time to get where I need to be.

"Rise n shine sleepin' beauty." A tall man says walking into my room and flipping on the glaring lights.

I roll into a tight ball not moving, I've been keeping up my charade of being autistic for a little under a week now so I already know what they are here for. Pill time.

"C'mon Anderson!" He shouts, but it's not really an angry shout, it's just the way his voice is, naturally loud. And the blank white room doesn't help that.

I pretend to tremble and he sighs.

"Alright Anderson, come on!"

He reaches for my shoulders and sits me up straight.

"Do we really gotta do this every mornin'?" He asks and the other man comes in the my pills and a cup of water.

I remain quiet and the man opens my mouth, putting the pills inside.

"Drink." He orders and I do as told still pretending to be afraid.

My trembling hands take the cup of water and drink it all, flushing the pills down my throat.

"Open up." He tells me and pokes around inside of my mouth with a wooden stick, lifting my tongue.

"Alright good boy Anderson." He says before walking out.

I run to the toilet as soon as I know they are out of ear range. I stick my fingers down my throat and gag, throwing up clear liquid along with the pills.

There is 10 minutes until the guard walks past, I have ten minutes to get into that air duct and through to the utility room to make sure the main power source is in there.

I have spent the past few days making a flat head screw driver, or what will work as one, from the plastic spoon we were given to eat with on Monday. Lucky for me nobody realized when I took it.

I stand up on my bed and reach up to the air duct. The makeshift screw driver works perfectly, allowing me to get the vent off of the ceiling.

Suddenly I hear the loud voice of the guard. What? He isn't supposed to be here yet!

His voice gets closer as I quickly try to put the screws back into the vent. My fingers fumble causing me to drop the screw driver. However, before it can fall very far I catch it.