Chapter 10: Please Don't Leave Me

Chapter 10: Please Don’t Leave Me

Eliese

Me and my mother drove down the streets, on our way to the hospital. I was now wearing jeans, converse and a sweatshirt, my beat up jacket zipped up over it. My mother changed out of her work clothes and was wearing something more appropriate as well. My mother's car was small and reeked of smoke. I'm afraid of what condition Jen will be in. My mother was notified about it while she was working, all she was told was that Jen was in an accident, and that she was hospitalized. I'm hoping for the best, but fearing the worst.

We arrived at the hospital, my stomach turned and my mind was reeling. We were told what room Jen was occupying and we jogged there. Me ahead of my mom, I rushed in the room, Jen laid in the hospital bed, looking fragile and helpless. Her eyes were closed, she looked deathly pale and lacerations scattered her face. I ran to her side, a few tears slipping from my eyes. Jen is so fucking reckless, it's not like it's who she is, she's only reckless because she feels like she has to prove something, she feels like people will like her if she's the troublemaker. I know exactly how she thinks, I was her once.

My mom entered the room, wearing a solemn expression. She came to my side. She rested her hand on Jen's leg, the only sign of affection I have ever witnessed from my mother lately. An older man walked into the room, the doctor. He wore a long white coat and scrubs, the obvious doctor attire. He wore thinly framed glasses, his eyes were a light blue and his hair was a dusty grey.

"Jennifer is in coma, she was driving the car, not wearing the seat belt, it was a head on collision with a semi, and she took a hard hit with her head on the pavement." He said gravely with a manila folder at his side. "It may lead to some brain damage, we won't know until she awakes." My mother’s hand went to her mouth while my hands closed into fists.

The doctor just nodded his head and left. I can't help but think this is partly my fault, maybe the whole thing is. If I hadn't slept over at Frank's last night, I could have caught her at home earlier this morning and stopped her from going anywhere. But no, I just had to take the first opportunity I could not to go back there.

"I'm going to stay here. I'm staying here until she wakes up." I shakily spoke, not knowing that's how I was going to sound. My mother gave me a cold look.

"You do what you want; I need to head to work." She pushed me out of the way a little, so she could get to Jen. She kissed her lightly on the forehead while she laid there, all beat up. My mother gets under my skin, she's acting like this caring mother, worried about her daughter, but she never did worry, she never cared before this. She never fucking did. I can't believe it takes a tragic accident like this to happen to make her realize what she has. My mother glimpsed my way, and then turned in the other direction, fast-walking out of the room.

I stared down at Jen. She looked like mom. Her nose, her lips, her cheek bones. More tears escaped my eyes, running down my cheeks. I whipped them away, gradually stepping my way over to a chair across from the hospital bed. I peeked out the window, it was overcast, and the sky was a faint grey, casting a gloomy color down on everything below it. I took off my jacket, draping it over the chair.

Jen may not be the typical, do-no-wrong, little sister and she may not like me much, but I love her, and she's my sister. I need to be there for her. That's what sisters do, that's what they're supposed to do. My mother can't play the caring mother role for long, so it's up to me to play the role I've always been to Jen, a big sister.

I sat there in the hospital, watching Jen intently. I just want her to wake up. I want her to wake up and be the Jen I always knew. Not the Jen she is now, not the fake Jen I know she isn't, the Jen that was funny, caring and just herself. The one I remember.