Chapter 4: Bonk!

Chapter 4: Bonk!

Eliese

Time flew by fast; it was already 8:15 pm when we realized we had to get ready for the reading. We ate the whole bag a pickle chips together, made a pizza, and finished that off. Also, the each of us chugged two cans of coke. So needless to say, we aren't hungry. Rae's mother was out with Rene still, she called to say that she was at her parents place. Rae and I had the place to ourselves as we got ready. We decided we would at least attempt to look a little fancy for this. We rummaged through Rae's closet, putting stuff together for each of us to wear, being complete girls.

"How about this?" Rae put a classy purple and black long sleeved shirt up against herself; a quizzical expression played her face. I looked at it and grinned.

"Yeah, I like it." I said kindly, tossing a pair of black skinny jeans her way.

"Thanks." She giggled. Her gaze wandered over the clothes that covered her bed. Not an inch of her bed spread was visible. "Oh! You should wear this." She picked up a black shirt; it had a lace design running up and down the sleeves.

"I love that!" I reached for the shirt with a big, happy smile. "You would seriously let me wear this? It still has the store tag on it." I said as I noticed a cream colored tag hanging from the armpit of the shirt.

"Yes, you can wear it, it would look better on you than on me anyway." Rae smiled sweetly.

"Thanks so much." I said, pulling her in for a friendly hug.

We both got dressed; I figured my red skinny jeans would look good with the shirt, so I kept my pants on. Rae lent me a pair of her black ballet flats and I didn't put any makeup on, I didn't feel it was needed. I looked at myself in the wide mirror that hung on the wall of Rae's bedroom, combing through my silky, black hair. I left my hair down. The shirt I wore looked quite good on me, I'm a pretty short and lean girl, and it looked like it was tailor made for me. I set the bright yellow comb down on the polished vanity. I turned around to see Rae all put together and ready like I was. She too didn’t wear an ounce of makeup. Her signature black biker boots completed her look.

"Got the tickets?" I said, she leaned forward and picked up two tickets, they flopped in her hand and handed one to me.

"I love how we're so overly pumped for a poetry reading." Rae huffed a laugh.

"I know; we're so cool." I chuckled and we walked out of the room, turning off lights and putting on our jackets. Our phones were snug in our pockets, our wallets along with them. Since we have no ride, we have no choice but to walk to the library in town. It takes about 25 minutes to get there, being young girls walking the streets of Brooklyn is a freaky thing, but we have both been doing it for years now.

We walked the sidewalks with our hands in our jacket pockets. It was dark, and stars were up in the sky, twinkling like diamonds in the light. Before I could say a word, Rae beat me to it.

"Have you ever wondered what your life is going to be like once you get out on your own?" Rae asked as we started our journey to the library, looking up at the sky a little as she strolled.

My eyes looked down at the grey, sidewalk. Her question was a good one, a question worth asking someone. Truth is, I really don't have an answer to it. I always like to think that fate will decide my route in life. I can't just pick and choose what my future is going to hold, it's just a matter of watching it unfold.

"I don't know. I mean, you can fantasize all you want about what you want it to be like, but that's just it, a fantasy." I told her what I thought.

"True, but sometimes even fantasies come to life." She answered dreamily.

We walked for 15 minutes, laughing at things we saw and talked to each other like we didn't have a care in the world. It's moments like this that make you feel like you're not alone, and that the world isn’t all too bad of a place. I took my cell phone out of my pocket; I took a glimpse at it so see it was 5 to 9. Shit, we're going to be late.

"Rae, we have five minutes to get to the library." I spoke with an apprehensive tone.

"What?" Rae gasped. We both started to quicken our pace. We passed a fairly large club; we could smell the heavy aroma of smoke and alcohol wafting from inside the building. We neared the door that lead into the club, almost passing it when I was forcefully knocked to the ground, falling on my side and rolling on my back.

"Eliese!" Rae said my name; she was at my side immediately. I let out a groan as she helped me up.

"Watch where you're going; dumb ass." Rae spat at the stranger that lay on the sidewalk. He struggled as he got up; he staggered when he finally stood up.

 "You okay?" Rae questioned me, being a protective friend. I nodded my head assuredly.

"Sorry about that." The young man slurred, obviously drunk. He tumbled backwards a bit and landed flat on his ass, hitting the sidewalk a second time. He sprawled himself out on the concrete. Rae looked at me with an abashed but concerned expression.

We looked around to see no one else was around, this guy wasn't being properly watched by his friends back in the club, if he even had any in there. A cool breeze rolled through, making my hair flow with it. It was getting colder, and I know we aren't going to make it in time for the reading. I hate to say it, but we got all dolled up for nothing. The guy on the ground wore a t-shirt and dark, distressed jeans. He's going to get severely sick if he stays out here.

"What should we do?" Rae chewed on her thumb nail. "-We aren't going to make it to the reading, and we can't just leave this guy laying here." I contemplated in my head what I wanted to do. Sometimes I hated being such a generous human being.

"He obviously doesn't have anyone here to watch his ass, and it looks like he's going to pass out any minute." I clarified the situation. "-We have to take him back to my place." Rae's mouth fell open slightly and her eyes were wide.

"I guess we could do that." Rae said slowly, we both lifted the guy up, brushing him off. He laughed drunkenly and smiled.

"Woah, woah, ladies; you can look, but touchin’s gonna cost ya." He spoke and stumbled on his own feet as me and Rae supported him. I heard Rae grumble at his comment while I rolled my eyes, typical comments. Rae and I were on either side of him, practically dragging him along the sidewalk, back to my apartment.

We made it safely to the apartment; no one stopped us for carting around a drunk guy, so all is good. He didn't say a word on the walk here, just hung in our arms. It's a very good thing my mother and sister are not here, if they were, I would have some serious explaining to do. Me and Rae dropped him off on the couch; he curled up with the quilt and just laid there.

"Wow. I can't believe we just did this." Rae stared at the drunken man on my sofa. I can't believe it either, but something told me to just pick him up and help him out. I had to go with my gut feeling; I always go with my instincts. But the outcome of that can either be good, or extremely bad.