Chapter 3: Eliese and Rae

Eliese

School sucks. It truly does, especially when everyone labels you because you're not their definition of 'cool'. Rae and I have it shitty here in high school. We stick together though; it's what we've always done. Being labeled isn't so bad when you have someone to be labeled with.

I sat in 8th hour, my lunch settling into my stomach. Lunch was good; Rae and I ate in the art room instead of the cafeteria. We were each working on paintings that we had started weeks ago. The art teacher, Ms. Dewild is amazing; you could say I'm one of her favorite students. I get away with a lot here at school because of her. Every time I would get in trouble with the principle, she would step in and work her magic, fixing everything so I wouldn't get in loads of trouble. The worst part is I'm not even a bad person. I get in trouble because of my mouth, when teachers say something I don't like, I let them know. It's not my fault; it just comes out without warning.

I leaned back in my desk, my legs stretched out in front of me. My blood red skinny jeans ran down to my red, tattered converse. I also wore a hoodie, staying toasty warm in the cold school. The teacher, Mrs. Binning, lectured the class from up front, pointing to the board. The good asset that benefits me with this teacher is that when you’re not paying attention, she's oblivious. I let out an impatient sigh and tilted my head back. My black hair was tied up into a lose pony tail, stray strands of hair hung around my face. I wanted school to be done with already; the only thing I can think about right now is how ardent I am for this poetry reading tonight. I need something to get my mind off of things, so this outing is a very coveted thing.

The bell finally rung, making my ears ring with it slightly. Every one shuffled out of the room, as did I. I fast walked down the hall and down the stairs, my books in my grasp. I made it to my locker and just flung everything in it, knowing I have no homework tonight. I grabbed my bag and my cell phone, tucking the strands of hair that tickled my face behind my ears. I closed up my locker and walked a section of lockers down; Rae was standing in front of her open locker. She wore dark jeans, biker boots and a sweatshirt. I'm heading over to Rae's place to chill out before we go to the reading later on.

"Hey, doll." I came up to her with a smile, my school bag slung around my body.

"Hey." She said cheerily, putting her green backpack around one shoulder. "We're going to have a great time tonight." She shut her locker and gave me a happy expression.

"I know, oh and you want to spend the night tonight?" I questioned, raising my eyebrows.

"Yeah, definitely." She replied sweetly with a smile.

"Cool, because my mom's out for the week for work, and Jen is spending the night at her friend’s house, so we can blast music all we want and pretty much raid the kitchen of all the sweets." I said, loving how tonight is going to work out.

"Awesome, just like we did last time." Rae giggled, looking back on a memory of ours. She spent the night a while ago and we ate every sweet in the damn house, we both suffered killer stomach aches, but we got a laugh out of it.

We walked out of the school, it was overcast, and it looks like it wanted to rain. We are both in the process of saving up for cars, so we ride the bus. Neither of us come from a wealthy family, but we never complain about that. Why would we?

We walked and shivered as we made it to the massive, yellow bus. We stepped up the metal block stairs of the bus, I handed the bus driver my slip that I forged with my mother's signature that notified him that I would be going home with Rae, he gave it a good look, drawing his eyebrows together, oh shit. He nodded his head. We both held in our laughs as we walked towards the back of the bus,

"He bought it." I laughed quietly and slid into a seat next to the window.

"I know, I thought he figured it out when he looked at it with that facial expression." Rae laughed with me. We both set our bags on the, gritty floor of the bus. Kids started piling into the long vehicle, chatting loudly and being rowdy. The bus roared to life and started zooming out of the school parking lot, bus after bus driving after the other, exiting.

The bus pulled up to a huge apartment building, Rae's apartment building. It's not too far away from my building, a 10 minute walk away from each other. Me and Rae stood up with our bags, there was still quite a bit of people left on the bus, desperately wanting to get home. We said goodbye to the bus driver that ignored us, like always. We both get a kick out of that old guy. We entered the building and went into the elevator to get to her floor. The elevator music played and we both hummed.

"You think we need to look fancy for this thing?" I asked, bouncing up and down to the music.

"Nah, we can just wear what we're wearing now or we can go through my closet." She spoke, also rocking to the music. There was a dinging noise, and the elevator doors parted, us hopping out onto the floor.

"What time is the reading?" I inquired again, we reached the apartment, before she opened the door, she looked up at the ceiling, trying to recall the time of the event.

"Umm... I think 9:00, so it's kind of late, but it will be worth it." She explained, opening the door, both of us waltzing in.

"Mom?! Rene?!" Rae yelled as she shut the door, slipping off her shoes as did I. She didn't get a reply, so she shrugged. "-They must be out together or something." Rene is Rae's 12 year old little sister, she's a very sweet girl.

We made our way to the kitchen, Rae grabbed a bag of pickle flavored chips, and I retrieved two cans of Coke from the refrigerator.

"Let's eat!" Rae cheered as we danced to her room. We flopped ourselves onto her bed, I sat at the end of it, opening a can of Coke, taking a nice, refreshing slug and setting it down on a vintage trunk that was pressed up against the back of her bed. Rae busted open the bag of chips and majority of the chips in the bag were sent flying. We both started laughing, rolling onto the floor with the chips.

"How... the... hell did you... manage... to do that." I spoke between laughs, holding my stomach.

"Good question." Rae laughed too, sitting pretzel legged and eating the chips off of the carpeted floor. I sat up straight and my laughing died down, I began eating the flavored chips as well.

We are going to have one hell of a night.