Parasite

"Looks like we're here," Emily stated as she stretched her arms.

Reid looked up from his book and smiled.

"Guess it's time to get back to work."

Having the jet all to themselves, Reid and Prentiss were surrounded by an unusual silence. At the beginning of the flight, they talked for a while. They were deep in conversation that after a while they ran out of things to say, which is when Reid moved over to the couch and began reading his novel, leaving Prentiss to herself. She played a game on her phone while resting her head against the airplane window, watching the clouds blow past as they flew. Running out of things to keep her busy, she was glad to see the plane hovering over the runway.

Once they landed, they grabbed their bags, thanked the pilot, and made their way to the SUV parked next to the asphalt. As Emily jogged down the a steep, metal airport steps that lead to the ground, she forgot about her phone, which she had placed carelessly in her back pocket. She was too late as she heard a loud thud below her. She frantically patted her pockets.

"Shit!"

Reid snapped his head back.

"What?" He said, soon realizing the broken metal pieces that used to be a cell phone scattered across the blacktop.

Emily looked away from the phone, not wanting to see the destruction.

At least she had a replacement plan.

"You have your phone, right?"

Reid gave her a wary look.

"Yeah, but it's been acting up lately."

"Then we'll just have to hope it works until we get back," Prentiss concluded.

They found the keys to the car and hit the road.

...

Emily drove as Spencer rested his head on the window, staring at the never-ending hills of green.

"Are you alright?" Emily asked as she stopped for a red light. Even though they were in the country, there sure was a lot of traffic.

Reid jumped a little, hitting his head.

"Uh, yeah...Why do you ask?" He asked, nonchalant.

She turned to face him, looking into his tired, chocolate-brown eyes.

"Because you haven't said a word since we got in the car and you're clearly staring off into space."

Reid frowned and decided whether to tell her the truth or not.

"I'm just a bit distracted," He told her with all honestly.

"I've been up at night worrying about my mom. In the few hours that I actually sleep, I have nightmares. It's the ongoing cycle of my life and there's no way out."

He suddenly felt shame fill his body. He should have just kept his mouth shut.

"I'm sorry."

Emily furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, but kept her eyes on the road.

"Reid, there's nothing to be sorry about. I know how you feel. After I was stabbed by Doyle back in that warehouse, I stayed up for months afraid to close my eyes. When I did, I would have horrifying dreams about Doyle and our cases all mixed into one. It was pure torture. After all those months, I finally decided to get help. I went to a therapist and for the first time in my life, I opened up to a complete stranger. After that, I didn't have nightmares anymore."

She took her right hand off the wheel and sympathetically placed it on Reid's shoulder.

"What I'm trying to say is that we, as human beings, cannot keep our emotions locked up inside of us forever. It eats you alive like a parasite."

Spencer made a face.

"I don't have a parasite," He said, emotionless.

"Metaphorically you do," Emily snapped back and cracked a smile.

She put both hands back on the wheel.

"Spencer, you need to stop avoiding your feelings. It only makes things worse. I know you feel like talking about your problems seems like you're complaining about how horrible your life is when there are people dying and suffering all around us, but it's not. There's a difference. Especially when you work as a federal agent and see the horror we witness on a daily basis."

Reid was surprised that Emily used his first name. He was also a bit scared of how right she was about him. He knew he could trust her from the beginning which is why she was the first person he ever confided in about his migraines. He hoped his feeling of trust towards her was mutual in their friendship.

"Thanks," He said and smiled, gratefully.

She smiled back and laughed.

"No need to thank me, but I'll except it!"

Reid checked his phone.

Nothing.

It wasn't very often that his phone stayed silent for more than 20 minutes.

Prentiss quickly turned the wheel, tires slightly screeching as she made a sharp turn.

"We're here!" She announced, over-exaggerating with jazz hands.

"You are way too happy for a FBI Agent."

"Turn that attitude upside down, Pretty Boy!" She winked.

Reid playfully rolled his eyes and got out of the car.

"If only Morgan were here to see this."

Emily jumped out of the driver's seat and followed Reid to the large, light-blue house that awaited their company. Before they walked up to the porch, they stood, Emily's arm around Spencer's waist, and watched the beautiful pink and orange skies darken as the sun set behind the horizon.

After weeks of constant stress and work, they could both agree that watching the sunset disappear for the night was the best memory they shared in a while.

They took their time as they walked towards the front door. Ringing the doorbell, they patiently waited for a response.

A/N: Hey!

Yes, I know...It's been 5 days since I last posted a chapter and I'M SORRY! :(

I've actually been pretty busy lately with school and fangirling over other people's fan-fictions, haha!

Sorry if I've lost my writing skills, (if i had any to begin with...) I don't know what been happening lately! :/

I'm still super excited to write the next few chapters, though, because I'm finally getting this story going :D

Thank you guys for staying with me, it means A LOT! :)

-Sammie