Chapter 4: Onyx

• -Ollie- •

My heart is pounding against my chest as I cross the road in bright daylight, my hands hurriedly fixing my sweater and making sure my hair was alright

My heart is pounding against my chest as I cross the road in bright daylight, my hands hurriedly fixing my sweater and making sure my hair was alright. The sight of her house, that was right across the street from mine, brought anxiety to every fiber in my body.

The closer I got to her house the bigger it seemed to get and within seconds I find myself in front of her door, my finger pressing the button, and my heart having it's own panic attack. I hear rustling behind the door and the closer the sound gets the faster my heart seems to beat.

I hear the lock twist before the door opens and Veronica, Opal's mother, opens the door, her beaming smile present as always and her hair tucked in a neat bun.

"Ollie, hello. Come in. Opal will be done in just a second and then we'll be out." I bit my lip as I shuffle in.

"H-hi," I mumble.

She smiles softly as she shuts the door and leads me towards what seems to be the kitchen. With her pale hand she motions me to take a seat. "Sit down. Have you had breakfast yet? We have lots of pancakes that we still have yet to g, if you'd like," she says.

"No, thank you, please." She smiles softly, a look of understanding laying on her features.

"I'll go check on Opal, so you guys aren't late." She sends me a soft smile as she leaves, her small heeled slippers clicking against the wooden floor.

I sit patiently looking around the room and the table, at the stack of pancakes, the honey sliding down the sides and falling onto the plate, looking so delicious. As I sat, admiring the food, I began to hear the murmur of their voices all swiveling a couple rooms over. The thought of Opal being one of them had my heart palpitating and my hands to get sweaty.

Her soft voice always puts me at ease but in that moment, knowing that I'd have to talk to her or at least make eye contact, has me freaking out. Soon, their voices grew louder making me frantically search for something to pretend I was busy. I quickly snatched a piece of tissue before leaning back on my chair and began to fiddle with, only realizing I probably looked ridiculous after it was too late.

Their feet padded in, both of them going silent as they sat on the table, a shadow beside me and a screeching chair away from me. Looking up my eyes meet Opal's as she smile softly to me in acknowledgment making me subconsciously shrink in my chair and a happy smile rise on my lips. I turned my head to my right side, acknowledging Opal's mother who sat next to me.

I watched both Opal and her mother begin to place pancakes on their plates and syrup on top of them before her mother reached over the table and used the big spoon to help shove a pancake on my plates and drizzled some syrup on top of it making my mouth water, the food at my house never looked nearly this good.

"Thank you!" I gush before grabbing a fork and digging in, emitting a soft sweet giggle from across the table making me smile in pride to myself as I nibble on my bites.

She always looked so serious in school or sad, making her giggle made me feel happy because she was happy and that reassured me.

—————————————

The rumble of the car started as I fastened my seatbelt, the click of it fresh to my ears. My eyes peaked every second to look up at the back of Opal as I saw her looking out of the window, admiring the view. They were all quiet and so was I, but it didn't feel suffocating, it felt natural like this is how it usually is.

I heard a clearing of a voice. "Do you guys share any classes together this year?" her mother asked.

"I think just English," Opal replied.

"And m-math," I quickly counteract but immediately regret it from the stutter.

"yeah and math," Opal wondered out loud in a mumble.

I saw her resting hand on the dashboard pick at the rubber band on the next hand almost harshly before she sighs and gives up, her hands falling to her lap.

We soon reached the school, the gates swarmed and overwhelmed by students and people walking in and out of them. I felt my heart grip in anxiety at the sight of all those people stood there, even though none of them were looking directly at me I still felt like they did I still felt like all of them were just waiting for me to do a bad movie.

"You coming?" Opal's sweet voice asked.

"Huh?" I turned my head the other side, finding my door opened and Opal standing there, a backpack on her shoulders and a sweater sleeve being fiddled with on her wrist.

She sent a comforting smile to me as I stepped out of the car and grabbed my bag, my accelerating heartbeat turned from anxiety to just happiness and giddy as I shut the door and followed after her towards the school gate. Her body next to mine was both calming me and making me feel happy.

A/N

Sorry for the slow updates and posts. School is really time consuming and I barely have time to write but I hope this was good. It isn't perfect and I didn't get time to proof read but I tried my best for the short time I had. Hope you enjoyed!

Don't forget to vote and comment and hopefully share!