Cafe Date

Sunday night came along quicker than Stella had hoped. But she knew that she could always come back whenever she pleased. She is packing the last of her things into her black Jansport back pack while humming along to the song that is currently playing on her iPod, she has it on shuffle. The song is Dead Hearts by Stars, one of Stella's favorites. A quick little tapping on the guest bedroom door gets her attention as she calls, "Come in."

Jace thuds into the carpeted room and smiles as she packs her toothbrush in the bag and zips it up. She slings it over he shoulder and he asks, "Ready?"

She nods and they both walk down the stairs of his lofty home. "Well thank you for letting me stay here. Hopefully we can hangout again soon." Stella says as she turns to face him.

"Yeah definitely. And I really do want to meet Nick, he sounds like a great guy." He forces out with a smile.

Stella notices his difficulty saying this and laughs and says, "You'll like him. And oh, give your parents my best. I'm sorry I missed them. I'll have to come back to see them soon." Jace nods and goes in for a hug.

"I meant what I said yesterday. Please try to be healthy and don't let anyone bring you down." She pulls away and nods lightly. "And I also plan on keeping that promise. I'll always be here for you, but you know that. Anytime you feel like running away, come here. This is home to you."

Stella smiles and nods. "I know. So can you, you can come over whenever you want." They look at each other for a few silent seconds.

"Oh man, you're killing me." Jace whispers and laughs. Stella smiles back and places her hand on his chest.

"Take care Jace, and keep in touch." They both nod and she opens the front door. She steps outside into the cool autumn breeze. She walks to her car and opens the door while tossing her black Jansport back pack into the passenger seat of her beat up Saab. She turns to wave goodbye at Jace who is standing on his front stoop.

He waves back and smiles. She gets in the car and carefully backs out of the driveway. She waves once more and then disappears down the road. Jace waves and stands there for a few moments soaking it all in. She smiles to herself and begins on her journey home.

The familiar pebble stoned driveway comes into view as Stella approaches her house. She sighs as she glances at the clock on the dashboard, it reads 1:37. Not too late, but not too early. She nudges the left blinker on and pulls up to her usual parking spot. No one is home yet. Her fosters are still away and all of the kids were now at her foster grandparent's house for the night. She cracks a little smile because she will actually have some alone time. Then she smiles more because her phone buzzes, it's Nick. She cradles her phone between her shoulder and her ear as she struggles to unlock the front door. "Hello?" Stella projects into the speakers.

"Hey you." Nick replies back with that melodic voice of his. Stella smiles as she finally jiggles the lock and the door pops open. She sets her keys down on the side table in the front hallway and then hops up the stairs and into her bedroom. She chucks her bags on her bed and then plops down on the bed herself.

"Hi Nick, whatcha up to?" She asks while sighing and falling onto her bed.

"Oh nothing really, just got back from a run. You sound a bit tired." He says back, "Did you just get back?" He asks while clearing his throat, it sounds like he is drinking water.

"Yeah, actually I just walked in the door when you called." She says quietly as she plays with the seam on her shirt. She lays there on her back staring up at the ceiling. "So what are you doing tonight?" She asks bravely as she anticipates his answer.