Oh Henry

The two teenagers sit there in each other's arms and breathe slowly, in and out, in and out. Nick softly runs his hand through Stella's hair, and Stella plays with the string on Nick's pull over hoodie. It is silent, nothing but the harsh wind beating on the window begging to come in. They could sit like this for hours, not saying one word, and they probably could still feel what each other is feeling. If this moment were a photograph it would be the most beautiful photograph of the two of them.

"So tell me about you now. It's my turn to listen." Stella says not moving an inch. She still twirls the cotton string in her fingers, concentrating on the thump thump of Nick's heart beat.

He breathes in heavily and exhales while asking, "Well, what do you want to know?" Stella's eyebrows furrow and her forehead wrinkles.

"Anything and everything." She replies softly.

Nick seems to think for a minute. "Well, I'm Nicholas Samuel Manns. I'm seventeen, I play soccer and baseball. My favorite color is green, and I love Kraft mac n' cheese more than life itself." Stella giggles and he goes on, "I have assholes for friends, and I'm kind of invisible in this house." He stops and thinks some more. "I secretly love school, and I'm a total nerd. I really suck at history, excell in math and english." He stops and exhales.

"Wow I didn't know you were actually smart." Stella teases. Nick grunts and pokes her in her side. "You do have assholes for friends, that's incredibly correct." She says. "But what do you mean you're kind of invisible in this house?" Stella questions carefully, trying not to cross any lines or step on any sensitive spots.

Nick inhales deeply, "Well my parents hardly notice me anymore. They never congradulate my good grades and when I'm in the newspaper for soccer or baseball they never point it out or clip out the article and save it. They used to clip it out and put it on the refridgerator, but not anymore." He pauses, exhaling. "They don't really even talk to me anymore I guess. Maybe they just don't care. I mean I do everything I can to get them to notice me, but it never works. I guess it's just part of their process." He finishes.

"What do you mean 'part of their process'?" Stella asks curiously.

Nick clears his throat and says, "Well we're all kind of in mourning. Well I'm not so much anymore. But I guess they are, especially my mom. I worry about her sometimes." He says a little shakily.

"What happened?" Stella questions. She sits up a little and looks at him, giving him her full attention.

He inhales deeply again and waits to answer for a few moments. "Well last year around this time, a week from tomorrow actually, my family went through something that really changed us." He said, "You moved her around Thanksgiving right?" Stella nods. "You probably didn't hear about it then. But on October 6th of last year, we lost my brother Henry." Nick says softly, barely audible. Stella's mouth gapes open in shock. Nick explains what happened, "Henry was riding in the passenger seat of his friend's car. And they had all been drinking, they were going back to their dorms after some party. There were four people in the car, and the driver lost control because his had been raining a lot and the pavement was really slick. They went through a guardrail on a sharp corner and rolled completely down a hill. They would have never stopped before the lake if they hadn't hit the tree that was there. My brother was the only one who died. The two in the back have brain damage because they weren't wearing their seat belts, and the driver broke some bones. I guess I'd rather see him gone than have to live with brain damage or a vegetable for the rest of his life, but it still hurts." He said quietly. Stella holds him tightly and he puts his massive arms around her. "After that happened I kind of fell off the wagon. I began drinking and messing around with random girls who I didn't even know their last names and I began not talking to my parents and totally isolated myself from our family. That's probably why you heard I was such a partier and a player and probably an asshole. But that wasn't who I really am. I just needed some time out of myself so I could get over everything that happened." He explains. "Henry was my best friend growing up. He always had my back. He would scrae off any kid who tried messing with me and he would cover for me with our parents and he taught me how to actually talk to girls. He was a really great guy." Nick pauses, inhaling sharply obviously trying not to break down in front of Stella. "In January I finally decided that I needed to get serious about life. My mother was really struggling with our loss. Henry was her first born, and he was planning to ask Heather to marry him, and he just had so much going for him. I told myself that I had to stop being selfish and help out this family. So I stopped drinking, promised myself that I wouldn't mess around with any other girls until I found a Heather, and started hitting the books and studying. Pretty soon I brought my grades up and I became the old me again." Nick says proudly. "There isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about Henry, but I know that where ever I go and what ever I decide to do in life will be for him. I know that he is watching over me and protecting me. Don't get me wrong, I wish he was here so I could be the best man at his wedding and me the crazy uncle every kid wishes they had and watch him grow old with Heather. But I can't, and that's the hard part." Nick finishes. Stella wraps her arms around his neck and pulls her head close to his.

They stay in this position for what seemed like hours. Finally Stella says something, "I'm so sorry Nick. I know what it's like to lose someone you love, but I guess we can both heal each other." Nick nods. "I'm always here. And I'll always be here for you. Don't be afraid to vent or cry or be upset around me, I don't mind listening." She admits.

"Thank you." He says simply.

"I'm glad you stopped being reckless. And I'm glad I know the real you instead of the guy that drinks, sleeps with random girls and just doesn't give a shit." She says.

He smiles and says, "Well I do give a shit. So I guess that's all that matters."

...

Poor Nick :( Please comment. If you comment I'll become a fan and read some of your stories. Thanks!