The Library

AP Biology flew by rather quickly because there was a substitute teacher, and Mr. Barnes didn't leave a note on what to do. Stella sat quietly in her seat and read Wuthering Heights, as she does every year around this time. As she turned the crinkled pages, she hummed a tune in her head. It helps her concentrate if she sings songs in her head, or just imagines some one playing the piano.

Lunch finally rolled around, and Stella made her way to the library. She decided to work on her history essay on the French Revolution. It is dead silent in the school library, no one speaks, no one moves. It is only her and the librarian today. The only sound that Stella can hear is the librarian's fingers pounding away at the keys on her computer. Suddenly the door opened and an echo of voices flowed in from the cafeteria. Stella popped her head up for just a fraction of a second and spotted nick with a brown paper bag in his right hand, and a textbook in the other. She buried her nose back in the ancient book that smelled of rotten paper and began reading a line. She hears footsteps approaching, yet she still keeps her head down. She figures that Nick is headed over to the computers to finish some homework that he told a teacher he left in his locker, but in reality never did it at all. But no, the chair across from Stella was pulled out, and a brown paper bag was set down on the table. Nick shrugged his back pack off and set it down on the chair next to his, and did the same with his text book. Then he sat down and opened the paper bag. He took out a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and took a bite. Stella couldn't help but lifting her head to see this strange sight. She cocked her head in confusion. Then he simply said, "Hey."

She was taken aback by this and stared at him for a few moments. Then she finally regained her words and said, "Hey yourself." She moved her gaze from his and proceded to read the history book. She listened to him munch on his sandwich, and take a swig of water every once in awhile. After about six excrutiating minutes of Nick eating his lunch and her reading the same paragraph over and over and over again Stella said, "I don't mean to be rude but is there a reason you came in here, and sat at my table, right across from me?" She drops her pencil and clasps her hands together on the table waiting for a response.

Nick finishes chewing the last bite of his sandwich and quickly washes it down with a couple sips of his water. He wipes his mouth with the back of his sleeve, such a guy habit, and then looks at Stella. "Well. I want to know that story. And I figured you'd be in here. I mean you're never in the cafeteria with the rest of us, and it's raining out, so I guessed that you wouldn't be outside. This was kind of my last option, either this or the girls' bathroom; and i don't think the girls of our school would appreciate me just strolling on in there." He smiles and clasps his hands together, mocking Stella's.

Stella nods and a smirk forms on her lips. "Well. My question is for you is, why do you want to know my story so badly? I think I'm just a bit confused on why you, a rather well known guy in the school, would like to know me; the silent, weird, ghost of a girl." Stella finished and untwists the cap on her water bottle. She lifts the plastic up to her mouth and inhales a sip.

Nick sits there, puzzled for a moment. Then he begins with, "First of all I don't think you're weird, you're just quiet. You seem smart. I mean, you and I aren't that different if you think about it. And I don't really know why I want to get to know you, but I do. So if I get a chance to do that then I will be pretty happy." He pronounces as he runs his hands through his messy, yet sort of attractive, hair.

"Are you kidding? We're not just totally different. We're polar opposites of each other. I mean I don't know the whole you, but from what I see and hear I can't find one thing that is similar about us." Stella murmured. Then she went on, "And if this is some sort of bet or joke from your piggish, asshole friends then count me out. No I will not sleep with you, even if you pay me. And no I will not say that I did sleep with you, even if you pay me. Just so you know." She finished. The thought of Nick trying to get her to sleep with him sent chills all down her back. She didn't want that. She didn't want anything like that. Stella really just wants to stay on the down low, just to stay hidden until she graduates. Then she plans on moving far away, maybe even to a different country.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Who said that this was a bet? And no, I don't want sex. I'm really not like that I swear. You just strike me as interesting. And I secretly like that you challenge me; but I guess I kind of spilled the beans on that one. You are intriguing to me, and I thought that if I tried talking to you then we might get to know each other a little bit." Nick paused and inhaled deeply. "The truth is, I just kind of wanted someone to talk to. Since you are quiet and all, I thought that you'd be a good listener." He paused again and exhaled, "But then I was dragged to this art show thing in the next town over with my aunt, because she is crazy obsessed with art, and I saw you. You probably didn't see me though. I was kind of hidden away in the crowd. But I saw some of your paintings and was immediately drawn to you. It was kind of weird, kind of like this magnetic pull." He paused again and his face flushed a deep scarlet, "That probably was way too cheesy for a first conversation, but hey, that's how I noticed you." He finally finished. He rests his head on his right hand, taking a pose that suggests that he wants a response, or an opinion from Stella.

She sat in her uncomfortable seat and didn't move one inch. She is dazed at the randomness of Nick's comment. All she could manage to say is, "You saw my art?"

Nick smiled and quietly says, "Yeah, and it is really good. Why don't you enter competitions or whatever you artsy people call them?" He asked with curiousity.

She smiles and also rests her head on her right hand, mocking Nick. "They're called art shows. And I don't enter them because I prefer not to be judged on the one thing that I actually like in life." She said, honesty pouring from the seams of the sentence.

Nick nods and replies with, "Huh. I guess you're right. So why were you at that one this summer?"

Stella comes back with "It was a benefit for an orphanage. They asked me to and I just simply couldn't say no. It was a non-profit event. Just an art showing to get people to bid for art work to help raise money for the orphanage. I usually do it every year, well I have since I've been here." Nick nods and checks his watch. "How much time is left?" Stella asks.

"About seventeen minutes." He replied quickly. Then said, "That's really cool. So did you ever end up finding out who got your painting?" He asked nicely.

"No, I didn't really care. As long as they got bid on, which all of them did. That made me feel a little better about myself." They both smile and Stella shifts in her seat.

"Ah I see. I must have only seen two of yours. One was called 'Reflections', and the other one was called something like 'Secret Strife'. Right?" Nick says, hoping he is right. Stella's eyes widen the slightest bit as she is amazed that he remembers the names of her art work. She finds it kind of touching.

"Yeah, that's right. I had four other ones there too. They were in different rooms though. The coordinaters arranged them by emotion, each room was sort of different. But yeah, it's really nice that you remember the names of them. Thanks." She replies back. He smiles again, this time not showing his teeth. Just a faint rising of the corners of his mouth.

"Yeah, no problem. They were pretty amazing. My aunt actually bid on both of them. She won 'Reflections'. She would not stop talking about it the whole ride back to her place." He let out a raspy laugh then continues with, "But anyways, I saw you there standing in a room all alone. I was going to go and try to talk to you, because I only saw the back of you I didn't even realize it was you until I saw you wearing the same dress later, but I got dragged into some other room with my aunt chattering in my ear about me being such a good sport by accompanying her. You even walked past me at one point. It was then that I realized it was you." He stated as he leaned back in his chair, getting more comfortable. He accidently slid his foot along Stella's, "Oh sorry." He said quickly and yanked his foot away and tucked it under his chair.

...

Hello again, thanks for reading. Please, please, please comment and vote! If you comment I'll become a fan and read some of your stories. Thanks!