9. A Silence Meant to Deafen

“I believe that’s checkmate, Blaise. Je gagne!” squeals Lumina in excitement.

“You sure you’ve never played Wizard’s Chess before? You’ve beaten me twice now.” He says through smiles while staring at the girl across from him admiringly.

“I think you’re just letting me win, but I’m not complaining.” she responds then sticks her tongue out at him for emphasis.

“That might have something to do with my weakness for beautiful women.” Blaise replies while looking at her deeply. Before the moment can get awkward he uses his wand to throw a pillow at Lumina from one of the couches in the common room.

“Hey! No beating up the Wizard Chess Champ!” she yells, full of laughter.

Blaise throws another pillow at her.

“Oi that’s it! You asked for it!” and then Lumina jumps up from her chair and tackles Blaise, knocking his chair, with him still in it, over in the process.

The few people that are still lingering around the common room give them odd looks. A couple of them are laughing at the two.

“Well, I guess you showed me.” Blaise whispers, his face close enough to Lumina that she can almost taste his breath. Hints of honeysuckle and cinnamon swirl in her nostrils.

She doesn’t feel the least bit weird being in this position with Blaise. The duo have gotten really close these past two weeks and she feels like she’s known him forever. He is sweet and open and makes her laugh. He flirts with her shamelessly but not once has he ever tried to cop a feel or make a move on her. It was comforting to Lumina being around a guy who isn't solely concerned with getting into her knickers.

“Get a sodding room you two!”

The harshness in the tone of voice makes them both look up in unison. A very disgusted looking Draco greets their stares and Lumina can only imagine what he's thinking. She laughs out loud, not at all affected by Draco’s mood.

He stomps off in the direction Daphne Greengrass is sitting. She’s chatting animatedly with her younger sister, Astoria. 

 “Daphne, can we possibly do our rounds earlier tonight? I’m exhausted.” He asks in a huff, completely ignoring the puppy eyes Astoria’s giving him.

“Sure. Sissy, we’ll finish this later.”

 She hugs her sister goodnight and then walks toward the exit of the common room, following Draco.

“Goodnight Draco.” Coos Astoria with a wink.

He smirks at her then closes the portrait door behind him.

Lumina gets up from on top of Blaise and dusts off her robes, remembering she’s got a mission to do tonight and wants to be sure she’s well rested for it.  

“I think I’m going to head up to bed too. Goodnight, Blaise.” She says to him as he makes his way up from the chair on the ground.

He puts the chair upright again then pulls Lumina into a tight hug.

“Have sweet dreams, Lumina. See you tomorrow.” He says while kissing her forehead and then watches her make her way up to the Girls’ Dormitory. With Lumina's back to him, Blaise doesn’t even attempt to sheath the longing in his eyes.

When Lumina enters her room, Willow is already asleep and Cadence is in the shower. Lumina changes into her pajamas and sets her alarm for 1:00am. She’s got a solid three hours until she’s to meet Harry and she’s anxious. Whether the anxiety was because she was going to be spending a lot of time in close vicinity of Harry Potter or due to finally getting her shot at Draco, she wasn’t sure. She tries to clear her mind and somewhere between Cadence crawling into bed and Willow’s rhythmic breaths, Lumina found sleep.