5. Rejections

There was no humor, no sarcasm, not even the hint of a smirk anywhere on his face. He looked distracted, as if he wasn't sure he should be doing this and anything that made Malfoy second guess himself, Lumina wanted to hear. She nods and Draco leads her out of the Great Hall, down a little ways to where he was previously sitting to avoid Pansy. 

"Look, seeing you unexpectedly after two years scared the bloody piss out of me. I'm not going to apologize for what I said, but I will apologize for handling you like a bloke. Although, you know how my temper is; not that much has changed." he says solemnly, making sure to avoid Lumina's searching eyes. He knew he wasn't giving her what he owed her but there was so much going on inside of him. This was the best he could do for now. 

"Exactly what were you hoping to achieve by telling me that?" No bull. Straight to the point. The old Lumina had a little spark in her before, but this one was harboring a full on blaze inside. 

"I just don't want there to be any animosity between us. I know a friendship is out of the question, I mean we're practically strangers now. Just no hard feelings, alright?" He says, still not meeting her penetrating gaze. 

Lumina is appalled.  

"No hard feelings!? Is that the BEST you can do, Malfoy? Two years of silence and months before that of me crying myself to sleep; months I spent agonizing over your distance, your abrupt cruelty, your faintly concealed lies. Not to mention what you did to me on top of all of that! And you show up at that sodding ball with her! As if the past doesn’t haunt me enough! How can you be so heartless!?" she shouts angrily, eyes glazed over with a smooth wetness. 

Draco’s eyes are still fixated on the ground, unsure of what to say or how to react. His head is spinning and he can feel the ice that has been his heart for so long beginning to thaw. He couldn’t let her affect him this much, not now. He was not surrendering tonight any more than he already had. Above all else, Draco was still going to be Draco. Well, the part he wanted everyone to see anyway. With a shake of his head and a heavy sigh, Draco gets up from the steps and heads to the Prefect’s Dormitory. 

“Where in the bloody hell do you think you’re going!? You ask me to talk and I agree even though you don’t deserve another second of my life, Malfoy! Not even a second! I was more than content with the idea of pretending you didn’t even exist at Hogwarts; but then you attempt to threaten me in the dungeons, let your cow try to make a fool of me at that sodding ball and now you’re walking away!? If you can’t let me be then I won’t offer the same consolation for you!” she yells at Draco as his form continues his way up the stairs, but at her last words his figure whips around and begins to descend each step one by one until he is face to face with her again.

 “Did you just threaten me, Lumi?” he whispers, barely audible.

 In a split second her wand is pointing at his throat, “I told you Lumi is dead! If I hear you call me that again my wand shall silence you permanently and I’m not talking about silencio.” She hisses vehemently.

Draco’s anger flares and he welcomes it with open arms. It was better to be enraged than to let himself feel for this dangerous and attractive woman again. She was furious, but her threats were as empty as The Dark Lord’s heart. She would never, could never kill Draco but by the violence in her eyes it was almost believable. 

“You think I give a damn!? Hell, you would be doing me a favor! Come on now, Big Bad Ripper. Do your worst!” Draco laughs viciously while staring intently into Lumina’s face, letting his eyes mirror the hatred in her own. 

People began filing out of the Great Hall, into the hallways and up the stairs. The ball had ended and Lumina was piqued at not being able to say goodbye to Blaise. She lowers her wand before anyone can see and gets intimately close to Draco’s face.