4. No Use Crying Over Spilled Pumpkin Juice

As Lumina makes her way through the doors of the Great Hall, she is overwhelmed by the elegance of the scene before her. There is white and gold everywhere; gossamer ribbons, circular tables, floating cherubs strumming their harps and a massive stage composed of obsidian wormwood, all decked out with white and gold embellishments. The lax beats of The Jobberknoll Feathers can be seen bobbing and weaving in and out of the crowds of students and staff dancing. The subtle radiance the room filled her with made Lumina push the encounter with Draco out of her mind. Although Phase One of her plan didn’t exactly go how she had predicted, it was obvious she made an impression and that would have to be enough for now. She wasn’t going to waste a night like this manipulating Draco into confessing his sorrow. For once in a very long time, she was going to let herself try and be happy just for a little awhile.

Several pairs of eyes stare in her direction as she descends the stairs, some belonging to boys without dates and others belonging to gentlemen who had a lady on their arm. The obvious jealousy in the eyes of their dates made Lumina laugh to herself quietly. There were a few faces she recognized; the Golden Trio of course, the professors, Argus Filch and even the house ghosts. The Bloody Baron in particular made his way from across the room, floating right through all the fleshy bodies, just to greet Lumina. She laughed at the idea of his opaque chains knocking some of the students on the head as he passed, but ghostly accessories, unfortunately, weren’t tangible. He was about the only friend Lumina had here when she previously attended. As long as you never asked how he got his bloodstains, he was better company than some of the living in this world.

“Do my ethereal eyes deceive me, is that you Ms. Ripper?” The Baron asks in a voice that had more depth in it than any non-living thing should.  

With a curt bow, “My dear friend, I’m surprised you remember me! How have you been, Baron?” she responds joyously to the old ghost.

She notices a few curious looks from some of the students around her. The Baron didn’t have a good reputation with most of the students, but he was only terrifying when he had to be. Everyone can see through ghosts, but ghosts can see through people just as easily.

“Blimey, I guess you came back to show those ninnies a thing or two for what they did. I was filled with much shame for the Slytherin House when I had heard what they did to you. I terrorized Pansy in private for weeks until Dumbledore scolded me. Wish I could have done more for you though dearie.” He says as he shakes his ten gallon head of hair apologetically.

“C'est la vie, Baron. No use crying over spilled pumpkin juice, but thank you for your kindness. If you’ll excuse me, I think I’m going to make my way over to the snack table, I’m ravenous. Don’t be a stranger though, it was good ‘seeing you’ ha ha ha.” She laughs lightly at the bad joke as she smiles at the Baron affectionately.

“I’m the ghost of Slytherin my dear, you’re bound to run through me from time to time. Best of luck!” he replies through throaty chuckles as he makes his way back over towards the stage where he continues swiping at the curtain with his rapier.

As Lumina makes her way over to the snack table, she sees Willow and Cadence standing there scoping out some of the guys as they danced.

“So, who’s on the menu tonight ladies?” she says while delicately popping a peppermint toad into her mouth.

Willow licks her lips, “Stewart Ackerley looks mighty good in that tux and Cadence over here is drooling over Theodore Nott.”

“Did I ever tell you how much I hate it when you speak for me? “ Cadence snaps, mildly annoyed.

“Do you know how much you wouldn’t say if I didn’t speak for you?” says Willow absentmindedly, eyes focused intently on Stewart.

“That didn’t make an ounce of sense but at least I’m not stalking a Ravenclaw.” Cadence responds with a slight roll of the eyes.