8. Pretenses

It’s been two weeks since the start of classes and Lumina had fallen easily into the pace of homework, friends and food. She hadn’t spoken a word to Draco since the night of the Anniversary Ball where she threatened his peace of mind. She hadn’t forgotten her words, but she was hoping Draco thought she had. Lumina had been plotting silently, waiting until he didn’t perceive her as a threat anymore. When he’d least expect it, she’d hit him hard and low as many times as she could without getting caught. She was waiting for a sign, anything that would give his carelessness away…

Lumina’s last class ends and as she makes her way toward the exit of the classroom, she feels her foot catch on something hard and stubby. Her body stumbles forward clumsily. She manages to steady herself before hitting the floor, but her books fall out of her hand in the process. As she looks to the source of the obstruction, she meets an emotionless pair of stormy grey eyes looking down on her. Flint, who was standing next to Draco, hurriedly bends down to pick up Lumina’s books and puts them back in her hands gently. She isn’t paying much attention to who picked up her books, she’s too busy glaring at Draco.

“Watch where you’re walking, Ripper.” The white blonde haired boy says with a sneer, and then stalks off without so much as a glance back in her direction.

With complete obliviousness to Flint staring at her expectantly, Lumina makes her way out of the classroom towards the Library. Her sign just presented itself and she’s anxious to get started.

Game on. Lumina thinks, excited at the prospect of embarrassing Draco. His blatant lack of remorse for tripping her was precisely what she was looking for. He had no remorse because he had no fear she was going to do anything about it. The fact that he didn’t even look back at her to wait for a response meant he assumed she wasn’t going to retaliate. In his mind, Lumina is not a threat anymore and she is fully prepared and eager to show him just how wrong he is. She opens a roll of parchment filled with notes on how she is going to execute a series of pranks she’s come up with to humiliate Draco.

I’m going to need that Invisibility Cloak. Should I ask for it or just take it? This is Potter I’ll be dealing with so….let’s see how asking works.

She checks the time.

What would a Gryffindor be doing at 6:00pm on a Friday? Hmmm…

She looks around the library and sees a good number of empty desks and wonders if she might possibly catch Granger in here. She walks toward the first aisle of books.

Nothing.

She proceeds down the second aisle.

Nothing.

She continues to walk down each one slowly. Finally at the end of the sixth row of books, she sees a crown of bushy light brown hair bent over a notebook at one of the desks in the back. She walks up delicately, careful to not catch the girl off guard and whispers, “Granger?”

The bushel of hair whips up at the sound of her name and her fierce brown eyes look defiantly into Lumina’s green ones.

“Yes? I know you couldn’t possibly need tutoring from me so I can only imagine what you want.” She responds; bitterness coated on every word.

“Oh eat flobberworm dung Granger, where can I find Harry?” Lumina spits back at her with annoyance. She has tried to be at least civil to Granger but Hermione couldn’t get over someone actually being smarter than her in anything.

“Oh for once, something Miss Smarty Pants Ripper doesn’t know. Shall I alert the Daily Prophet?” she asks with obvious sarcasm in her voice.

“Nix the tone, we have a Potions project to do and I’d like to finish it before my weekend starts.” Lumina says plainly, already bored with Granger’s overt jealousies.