1. Focused

Lumina awakens to the opening of curtains in her lilac colored room. The gentle humming of her house elf Libby is normally a pleasant sound to wake up to, but not today. Today she can’t afford distractions; today she takes back her power. Lumina rubs her eyes, rises from Egyptian Cotton sheets, and heads toward her private bathroom.

“Good morning miss. Have a good rest, then? Miss Druella sent Libby up here to-“

But Lumina sharply interjects, “I know what today is! You can go now.”

“Breakfast is in 45 minutes, my lady.” The abashed creature whispers while bowing out of the room.

Stupid elf, how could Lumina possibly forget what today is? She’s been awaiting this day since her hair grew out, since her baby fat morphed into toned and solid curves, since the day she learned she wasn’t powerless anymore.

With a flick of the wrist, the shower’s running and her clothes are off. Consciously, she removes the tie in her hair before stepping into the shower. Long, silky chocolate brown strands fall down her back in unison. She steps in, and as the warm water pelts her back, all Lumina can think about is what the look on Malfoy’s face is going to be when he sees her back at Hogwarts. She is still unsure of the moment when she is going to reveal herself, but she understood the universe better than most and an appropriate moment would surely present itself. Another flick of the wrist and the showers off, as she steps out, a dull throbbing pain from her abdomen disrupts her thoughts.

Lightly, she follows the trail of the red welt from the side of her belly button down to her waist. The rest of her wounds were mostly healed but this one was still fresh from yesterday’s argument with mother. Lumina could heal it and she knew it, but she liked to let them heal naturally as a reminder. While examining the gash, she whispers to herself,

“That’s the last time I raise my voice at mother...but I am attending Hogwarts this year and that is the only thing that matters.”

Lumina magically dries her hair and styles it into a tight, sideways bun. After throwing on a white tank top and skinny jeans, she saunters downstairs for breakfast.

"Morning mother, morning father." she says, regardful of her tone.

The Rippers could not stand bad manners; a trespass Lumina has paid for time and time again. They nod a response while she seats herself and begins eating. Silence ensues for some time until Lumina’s mother puts down a napkin and clears her throat,

“I want to make sure you understand, Lumina. The only reason we’re even permitting you to go back to Hogwarts is because of the changes you’ve made, but this is the last time. We do not want to hear any requests of you returning to Beauxbatons. You are a Hogwarts student until the rest of your magical education. Is this understood?” Druella is a stern mother with little patience, but fair…as fair as a Deatheater could be anyway.

“Yes, mother”, replies her daughter in a monotone.

Druella didn’t miss a thing, “Oh dear, I hope you aren’t still distraught with me over yesterday’s occurrences. I am still your mother and you will bestow upon me the respect I deserve, regardless of circumstance.” Her mother starts off honey sweet but by the end of her statement, Lumina can almost feel the venom eating away at her bones.

Before she has a chance to respond, a face concealed by a copy of The Daily Prophet chimes in, “Are you even eager to go back? You seem rather calm for someone willing to be tortured just to return.”

Somewhere deep down, in the most hollow portion of her being, Lumina was eager, very eager but she couldn’t allow even a second of emotion to obscure her focus. If she wasn’t careful, everything she’s worked toward would be for nothing.

“I don’t think its hit me yet, actually, may I be excused? I’d like to finish packing and change into my robes.” Lumina did not appreciate her parents asking about her feelings because they normally only did so when they wanted to tell her how she should be feeling.

Without looking up from his paper, her father replies “Go on, we’ll be departing for King’s Cross Station in 20 minutes.”

Back in her room, Lumina puts her Slytherin robes over her clothes and slips on her school shoes. Once more she goes over the plan in her head….

As soon as you hit the platform, go straight to the back of the train and keep your hood up the entire time. Talk to no one other than to Confundus them away from your compartment. Be the last one off the train and be sure to spot Draco before he spots you. After that, stay out of sight as much as possible. After Dumbledore’s speech the first opportunity you get, take it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“And naturally, that concludes the Sorting Hat Ceremony. Thank you, as always, Professor Mcgonagall for your assistance. Welcome to each new student and welcome back to all the previous ones. I know you are all itching to begin your feast, but a few words beforehand. As many of you know today marks the 1,000th Anniversary of the opening of Hogwarts. In honor of this momentous event, there will be a ball hosted tonight here in the Great Hall 9pm sharp. I trust all of you have enough formal wear in your closets, anyone without please speak to the prefects of your respective houses. I wish you all a memorable and productive year but a word of caution; those who plot the destruction of others often perish themselves in the process. With that said, enjoy.”

And with a snap of the old wizard’s fingers, rows of food a mile long appear at each table of students. Lumina had respect for Dumbledore as a wizard but his words did nothing to rattle her initiative. Perishing was the last thing she was concerned with; she had already lost herself a long time ago.

The pale dark haired girl sitting next to Lumina notices her lack of appetite, “Aren’t you hungry?” she asks quizzically, but Lumina doesn’t respond. The only thing she hungers for is revenge and the perfect plate to serve it on had just revealed itself. The universe did not disappoint.

Note: I finally figured out how to do the dedication thing so I wanna dedicate this first chapter to Juliet456 because she was the very first person who voted, commented and fanned me and my work! And I sincerely appreciate that so thank you Juliet! Oh yeah and everyone should go check out her story 'Back Down the Rabbit Hole', very interesting take on Alice and Wonderland! Anyways,  hope you all liked it :)