Chapter 44

There were some moments in Anissa's life that seemed too surreal.

There was a time when once she almost lost her father to a heart attack but miraculously, he was saved and he lived. Then there was a time in which she was at her lowest and despite the circumstances, she came through.

These were the moments when she thought that the whole universe was against her. And she would feel so helpless and powerless.

These are the moments in which a person feels most human: vulnerable and weak. They feel as if everything is out of their control. And all a human ever wants is control.

You feel like you're just a tiny speck in the grand scheme of things.

Right now, it was no different.

No.

No.

NO! What is he doing here? He wasn't suppose to be here! She mentally screamed as her hazel eyes stared at him in utter shock and terror.

There he stood, his side facing her: his head low as if he was examining something in his hand. His dark hair was unkempt as if he had passed his fingers through it multiple times. His charcoal tailored suit was wrinkled.

She studied his stature: his back was straight, shoulders squared and his stance strong. His neck was slightly bowed down and Anissa's eyes followed down to see that he was looking at something. She couldn't look into his eyes but from the stone hard expression on his face, she could easily tell that he wasn't pleased.

Her fear kicked in: her hands started shaking and her heart accelerated. Adrenaline pulsed wildly through her veins and all she wanted was to run away and hide somewhere.

"W-what are y-you d-doing here?" She stuttered, she couldnt hold it in; the fear was just too intense. too overwhelming. All the memories of the pain that she had endured clouded her mind.

He didn't respond as his eyes stayed glued to object he was observing.

Anissa's legs wouldn't move. She didn't dare approach him but from the looks of it, she could easily tell what he was looking at.

It was a frame: it contained her graduation photo. Anissa was glowing that day, at her left was her father and at her right was her mother. With them stood Haris and Ramsha.

Why is he looking at that picture? She thought as shivers ran down her spine and cold sweat formed on her forehead.

So many questions were running through her mind.

How did he find out I ran away?

The tracker was suppose to be off for a while?

Wasn't he in that conference?

How did he know that I'll come here? So many thoughts and all having dreadful answers.

How ever he managed to outwit her was beyond her comprehension.

Shehryaar was supposed to be in a very important meeting with the Chinese Mafia. The environment of the meeting was such that all devices were shut off automatically as all signals were cut off. That's what Zameer told her. And that was what they both relied on: that was the main key towards success in this escape. Both Zameer and Anissa had faith that the tracker in Anissa would be temporarily shut down and she would have enough time to flee with her family until Shehryaar found her. Then how did he ever find her?

Her mind was beginning to cloud with fear: her mind ran over all the scenarios that could happen: all the scenarios that ventured around him hurting her in more ways then one.