Chapter 7

Previously

      Juan invited Marti to lunch on Saturday and the two of them became friends. Maybe Juan wasn't such a bad guy after all.

----------------------------------------------

      At school, Marti was in her last class which art, her favorite class. As soon as the bell rang, she went out and noticed Juan with a girl.
     "Figures." She giggled and shook her head. The two have been spending a lot more time together recently and he barely flirted with her anymore. Yet, she couldn't deny that she missed it. She shook her head. She promised to not fall in love in fear of getting hurt again.

      Juan chuckled at the girl in front of him before he noticed Marti. He smiled and excused himself before going over to her.
     "Ciao Marti!"
     "Hello Juan!" She smiled at him. God, he loved her smile. During the time they spent together, he had started to feel attracted toward her. Could he really be falling for her..? He shook his head a bit. There's no way and she would never accept him like that. She keeps rejecting his advances anyway.
     "So. Wanna hang for a while? There's a carnival in town today for the week."
     "Sure!" Marti smiled and grabbed her bag. He chuckled and smiled. She was always so cheerful and energetic and it was cute..

      At the carnival, the two of them played games, rode the rides, and spent time talking. Marti smiled as they were now on a bench eating some candy and talking. She giggled when he said that his best friend, Ace, and him got in trouble by the third grade teacher for not turning in their work when it was due.
     "-and then Ace says: 'But its true! It was raining and we had to run here!' I was trying so hard not to laugh then. She finally took our story and let us out early." Juan laughed.
     "Sounds like you two were really troublemakers." She laughed.
     "Hey!" He laughed more before he calmed down and smiled. "You know.. You're cute when you laugh."
     "Thanks!" She smiled back at him.
     "Hey Marti? Why is it just you, your brother, and mother? Where's your father?" He asked softly and she froze a bit. She couldn't reveal that to him.. It was still too painful, though she wouldn't show it. She got up and forced a smile.
     "I think I should be getting home. Thanks Juan. I had fun today." He blinked at her sudden change.
     "Marti.."
     "Please. I-I can't tell you.." He nodded and got up as well.
     "Alright. And you're welcome." He said softly before they walked back to their homes. As soon as they arrived, he gently took her hand. "Marti. You can talk to me. Don't forget that."
     "Thank you Juan." She said softly. He nodded before he quickly, but gently kissed her cheek before letting go and going to his own house. She stood there shocked for a few moments before going inside and going to her room, lying down on her bed. She couldn't allow herself to be close to him. She couldn't risk being hurt again. It would be the end of her if she did..