Chapter 6

Previously

     "Interesting, I'll say." Juan chuckled

----------------------------------------------

      Marti was outside as she was walking to the park on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. She hadn't seen much of Juan and he hasn't been bothering her in school, which was a relief to her. She did have to admit that he was really hot and cute an- Wait what?! She shook her head to clear her thoughts. She would never, ever fall for someone like that again! A voice stopped her in her tracks and she turned around to see him. Juan.. She smiled but slowly back away.
     "Hey Juan! What's up?"
     "Well, the sky, of course." He laughed. She laughed as well.
     "Well, you're not wrong!" He calmed down and smiled, instead of his usual smirk.
     "Actually. I wanted to see if you would like to get something to eat with me. I'll pay." He smiled and Marti looked at him, surprised before nodding.
     "Sure." He smiled at her answer before holding his hand out. She giggled and shook her head. "I'm fine. Thank you."
     "Alright. Suit yourself." He chuckled before walking to a nearby restaurant. She smiled and nodded as she followed. A waitress came up to them and gave them some seats outside and took their orders. When she left, Marti looked at Juan.
     "Why did you invite me?" She asked curiously as he looked back at her.
     "I know we haven't really haven't had much of a good start, but I would much like to be friends. We are neighbors and I find you to be an interesting girl." Juan smiled and she looked at him. Friends? Was this to trick her? To become another victim? She shook her head before smiling at him. Friends didn't sound too bad.
     "Sure. I would like that, Juan."
     "Thank you." He smiled before the waitress came back with their food. They thanked her and she smiled and left. Marti smiled and took a sip of her lemonade.
     "So. How old are you, Juan?"
     "18. Senior. You?"
     "17. Junior."
     "Cool!" He smiled. "I can't wait to get out honestly. School is not my thing."
     "I can tell by your grades. But you won't graduate like that." She giggled and he shrugged. Not like anyone would make a fuss anyway.

      The rest of the time was spent with the two of them talking and getting to know one another and sharing laughs with funny stories. When they finished, Juan paid the bill, like he said he would, and left the waitress a $10 tip. Figures. After lunch, Juan and Marti went to the park and sat down on the swings.
     "Thanks Juan. That was really nice of you."
     "You're welcome Marti. I hope there's no hard feelings between us."
     "Nope! I'm happy to have made another friend!" She smiled and started swinging. Maybe Juan wasn't such a bad guy after all. But she was still going to keep her distance and be careful. She had to.
     "Me too!" Juan smiled. He watched as she was swinging. Her blonde hair flowing softly in the breeze, the way her blue eyes sparkl- Whoa! Juan! You can't be actually falling for this girl, can you? He felt his cheeks heat up a bit at the thought before shaking his head. No! There was no way!
     "Juan?" Marti's voice interrupted his thoughts and he looked at her. "Are you okay?"
     "Si! Well, we should head back before your parents worry. I'll walk you back."
     "Thanks! I'm sure Mama and Tim don't mind though. But maybe... You can come over and meet them sometime? I want to repay you for today." He looked at her, surprised, before smiling softly.
     "That would be nice. I would love that."