Chapter Nineteen Part One

Harry awoke before Emmy the following morning, and to his surprise she was curled in a ball, inches from him, almost as though she was trying to warm herself from his body heat. He blinked the sleep from his eyes, before looking down at her and smiling slightly to himself. Sometime during the night, she'd evidently gotten cold, and despite her cuddly pyjamas she had snuggled into him in her sleep. Now, as the sun streamed through the sheer curtains, he smirked down at her, at her innocence that was so visible when she was in such a vulnerable state and her hair that was a messy disarray strewn across the pillow. She murmured something incomprehensible as he moved away from her, curling herself into a tighter ball beneath the covers.

He slipped from the bed and stretched himself up to his full height, extending his arms and groaning with satisfaction. Then he sighed, stumbling towards the en-suite and leaving Emmy nestled in bed, her chest still heaving with her deep breaths.

She awoke twenty minutes later, the dazzling sun through the window finally pulling her from her dreams. With a gentle groan, she rolled over and stretched out.

A tiny part of her brain registered that she should not have room to stretch out, that there was supposed to be someone else in bed with her.

She sat up sleepily, casting her half-closed eyes across the room before they fell on Harry. He was stood before the mirror opposite the bed, examining his reflection in jeans and a long-sleeved t-shirt. Emmy peered groggily up at him.

"Did I oversleep?" she asked in a slurred rush.

He turned, surprised that she was awake and amused at how disorientated she was. "No, I just got up early," he explained. "William and I are going for a stroll before breakfast."

"Oh, okay," she mumbled, laying her head back down and sighing.

"Breakfast's at nine," he added. "It's only half-seven."

"Half-seven?" she quoted in a murmur, curling up into a ball again and closing her eyes. "You got up so early."

"I know," he said, smirking. "I like going for a walk round Sandringham."

"So early," she complained.

"Just because someone's lazy," he teased, moving to sit on the bed and look down at her. She felt his weight dip the mattress, and she opened one eye suspiciously. "How did you sleep?"

"Fine, actually," she said. "It took me a while to actually get to sleep, but I slept well."

"Were you cold during the night?"

"I don't know," she said, then grinned. "I was asleep."

"True," he said, chuckling. "See? It wasn't that bad sharing with me."

"No," she admitted. "Although you have woken me up far earlier than I would've liked."

"Sorry," he said. "I better be going."

"Breakfast's at nine?"

"Yeah," he said. "I'd wear whatever you're going to wear to the football match. We'll be leaving straight after."

"Okay," she mumbled, already snuggling back under the cover again. "See you later."

"See you later," he said, getting to his feet to pull the curtains again, blocking out the light to let her enjoy a last hour of sleep. Then he left her, joining William out in the corridor.

Emmy nervously made her way downstairs at ten to nine, not wanting to be late to breakfast and not really knowing where she was going. She wanted to give herself time, anticipating that she'd lose herself in the enormous building. To her relief, however, a tiny lisp called her name. Well, kind of her name.