Chapter Twelve Part Two

"You are really stupid, Chris."

Chris threw Taylor a dismissing roll of his eyes. "Oh yeah? Says the girl who only bought one pair of socks."

"How was I supposed to know it was going to be cold?" Taylor said innocently.

"The hint was in the word skiing," Chris said. "A sport that is done on snow."

"Oh fuck off, Chris, I don't need this right now."

Emmy laughed lightly at her friends' bickering. Their fourth day was being spent with a trek through the snowy woods, up the slopes and then back to the restaurant for a late-afternoon snack. Jake, Guy, Skippy and Harry were all competing to be the most able-bodied man, as they marched ahead swiftly, showing no sign of fatigue or muscle aches. In front of Emmy, Zoe and Lizzie walked at an average, easy pace. Finally, the three of them brought up the rear, with Taylor moaning every few seconds that her feet hurt and then taking every opportunity she could to pick a fight with Chris.

"Who's idea was this?" Taylor called ahead. "Because whoever's it was, I deserve a piggy back."

"I believe it was Harry's," Jake said, smirking at his best friend.

Harry scowled. "Skippy's the single one here, I volunteer him."

"You can't volunteer me," Skippy said, outraged. "I have to volunteer myself. Which I don't."

"Besides," Guy said. "You're actually also single, Harry. Hate to point that out."

"Yeah, but I'm not supposed to be," Harry replied smugly. "The only person here I'm allowed to carry is Emmy."

"Is that an offer?" Emmy said.

He shook his head at her, chuckling; over the last four days, Emmy had grown remarkably confident and comfortable around his friends, and he could tell. That first day, she only spoke when spoken to, as few words as possible, before blushing and looking away. Now, she got on excellently with Zoe and Lizzie, and his friends had made an enormous effort to involve her in all their conversations. The result: Emmy was confident and was not afraid to tease Harry in front of them.

"You probably only weigh...what? Six stone?"

"Oh, hilarious," she said, as he slowed to walk with her, Taylor and Chris. "You know, that was such a terrible guess I think you're only trying to flatter me."

"Emmy? Have you seen yourself?" he said matter-of-factly. "You look six stone."

"Six?"

"Well, maybe not that little, but you're short and you're small. Forgive me for guessing your weight badly."

She smiled to herself and rolled her eyes. "Where exactly are we walking to?"

"Just the top of this hill," Harry explained.

"Then what?" Taylor asked.

"We run down," he said. "Trust me, it's the greatest thing you've ever done in your life."

Taylor giggled. "Sounds like fun."

Emmy glanced at her friend, then mentally chuckled. Taylor was doing very badly at trying to convince Harry that she was not at all starstruck around him.

"Here we are," Skippy called from ahead, and the four of them hurried to catch up with them. "Who's running first?"

It was mad. A messy jumble of people running up and down the hill, and Emmy watched as they fell down, as they landed face first in the snow, as Harry spat the frozen water from his mouth and as Skippy fell over in front of him, sending them both sprawling on the cushioned ground. Emmy laughed at them all.