Chapter Nine

Emmy went to work on Monday, just like normal. She stood in the crowded tube trains with Taylor by her side, bid her goodbye when they reached Knightsbridge, then carried on to Westminster. She walked past Westminster Abbey, her normal route to work, then continued down to Starbucks.

On Tuesday, she did exactly the same.

And Emmy awoke on Wednesday, expecting another day with the same things in store. Upon stumbling out into the living room, however, that all changed.

"Guys?" She frowned. "What's up?"

Chris and Taylor were huddled at the window, carefully nudging the curtain aside to peer down at the street below, their expressions confused and somewhat worried.

"I think-" Taylor began, then said, "I think they figured out who you are."

"Who?"

Taylor stood up and back, gesturing for Emmy to join them. "Careful," she said, as Emmy approached the window. "Don't let them see you."

Emmy stared at her for a few seconds, then turned to the view. Down on the street, huddled around the entrance to the apartment block, a group of nearly a dozen photographers waited. They mingled around, they chatted, but each was armed with an expensive camera, and each seemed nearly twice the size of her. She stared at them, horror growing within her.

"They can't be here for me," she said instantly.

"Who else are they going to be here for?" Taylor snapped, impatient. "Does Beyonce live in our building now?"

Chris sighed. "Come on, guys, let's not fight. Emmy, seriously though, who else are they going to be here for?"

Emmy looked back down at them, her horror taking over her, making her chest tight. "How- how can they know I'm here?"

"They must've tracked you down," Taylor said, her voice not so cold now, sympathy leaking into her tone. "Em?"

Emmy heaved a huge breath, taking a few steps backwards and shaking her head. "They know," she said. "They know about us now. They know."

"They know that you're dating," Chris reminded her.

She stifled a sob. "How long until they find out we're not?" she cried.

"They will never find out," Taylor said, her eyes wide, sure. Trying to reassure her best friend. "Emmy, they won't. You can't worry about this."

Emmy shook her head. "Oh god," she breathed. "Oh god."

"Phone Harry," Chris said instantly, getting to his feet. "Phone him and tell him-"

"What will he do?!" she wailed. "He can't stop this-"

"Emmy, Em,-" Taylor took her hands and stood in front of her. "Look at me. Look at me!" Emmy stared into her best friend's face. "This is what you're going to have to get used to now. This is your life and like it or not, these men are going to be part of it. You have to pretend that this is all just a consequence of being with the man you love. You can't let anything you're really feeling come out."

"But this isn't a consequence of being with the man I love," Emmy whispered. "This is a consequence of my father's own selfishness."

Taylor sighed. "Em, you're gonna have to deal with it. If this is it, if this is what your father and his father have decided, then you have no choice."

Emmy pulled away from her then, turning her back on them both, blinking tears from her eyes. Did they not understand? Did they not get how hard this all was for her? Forced into marriage with a man that was famous enough to warrant a herd of paparazzi traipsing after her – the thought made her want to curl up and cry.