Chapter Twelve Part One

"I still can't believe we're going on holiday with Prince Harry!" Taylor squealed, as Chris lugged her suitcase down the stairs for her.

"Well, believe it," he said. "And carry your own bag."

"Hey," she said, pouting at him. "Don't ruin my mood."

"Don't ruin my back," he answered, then shook his head at her. "The quicker we get these downstairs, the quicker we get to Prince Harry."

Behind them, Emmy pulled her own trolley, her stomach fluttering with the usual pre-holiday excitement. Two weeks had passed since she'd met Harry's family, and they'd been nicely normal. Emmy had only spoken to Harry three times, once when he phoned up to give her the details of their holiday, again when he had come round to give them their tickets and tell them about where they were going to stay, and finally the day before. He'd phoned her just after she'd got home from work – somehow he already knew her timetable – because, apparently, People magazine was sure that an engagement was coming within the next few weeks and he had wanted to make sure she hadn't been harassed on her way back from Starbucks.

It was funny how facing the paparazzi each day had quickly merged into one. She didn't notice the difference from one day to the next, although subconsciously she was aware that some days there were more there, traipsing after her, and some days there were less. She'd been forced to get used to them, and get used to them she had. They were background noise now, especially since every question they asked her had no relevance to her life whatsoever.

Nonetheless, she was eager for this holiday. Paparazzi were still paparazzi and she was glad to be rid of them for a week. Luckily both Chris and Taylor had also gotten time off work, so the three of them were looking forward to a week spent in rich, aristocratic company. Emmy, however, was happy to see Harry again. It was strange how comfortable and safe he made her feel – he knew what he was doing, he knew how to deal with things like the paparazzi and the nosy passers-by. She felt better with him around.

"Em, did you lock the door?" Chris said over his shoulder.

"No, I left it wide open so that all the burglars can go in without having to break the lock."

"No need for sarcasm, little miss princess."

Emmy scowled at him. He'd taken to calling her that, and it didn't amuse her in the slightest. "Yes, I locked it," she said coldly.

"Come on guys, the taxi's waiting!" Taylor danced ahead with her bag and her scarf swinging from her neck. Her excitement was simultaneously infectious and irritating. Chris and Emmy shared a tired glance before following her.

"How much do you want to bet that Skip is going to be the last one here?"

Harry chuckled at Jake and took a drag on his cigarette. "I'd bet my whole life savings."

"So nothing?" Guy said, grinning.

"Oh yeah?" Harry raised an eyebrow. "You just said that to the richest one here."

"You sure about that?" Jake teased.

"You don't count," Harry answered, turning away, as his friends erupted in laughter. Beside them, Jake's wife Zoe and Guy's wife Lizzy rolled their eyes.

"Honestly," Zoe said. "You are all so mean to each other."

"It's your husband, Zoe," Harry said.

"Yeah, he's a dickhead," Guy agreed.

"Oi!" Jake shoved his friend, who dissolved into laughter. "Don't think I won't push you off the cliff on the slopes."