Chapter Fifteen

"Hey honey, I'm home."

Harry's call echoed throughout the apartment, and Emmy's laugh answered him from the kitchen. It was an unsurprised drawl, and he instantly imagined her rolling her eyes at his words. Grinning to himself, he followed the sound before finding her attempting dinner.

Ten days together had gone remarkably fast, and each day Emmy's cooking skills had ranged further and further from the terrible omelette she'd produced on Saturday. Her apparent inability to follow a recipe and her forgetfulness – mainly forgetting to keep an eye on the meal – led to disasters and burned food.

But today it actually smelt good. He'd felt slightly nervous as he'd driven through the gates to Kensington Palace, knowing another dinner was awaiting him, but it didn't smell like anything was overcooked. His nose twitched slightly as he inhaled, and he managed a smile.

"Wow, Em," he said, mock surprise in his voice as he entered the kitchen. "This actually smells good."

She glanced over her shoulder to throw him a roll of her eyes. "You sound surprised."

"I am."

"Go away, I'm not that bad," she said, pouting before turning back to the food. "Don't distract me, go away."

"Can I do anything?" he asked, placing his keys and phone down before fingering his tie loose.

"No, I'm okay."

"What did you do today?" He slipped out of his blazer, hanging it on the back of one of the kitchen chairs before collapsing onto it and sighing.

She smirked. "Tired?"

"Yeah. Not that I do anything. Just sit in an office all day."

"Boring," she mused. "My day was much more eventful."

"Oh yeah?" He grinned at how eager she was, her eyes shining with the anticipation of telling him. "What happened?"

"I got the dress I'm going to where when we announce our engagement."

"So in other words-" he said, smirking. "You went shopping."

Emmy scowled. "Did you not hear me? I got my dress."

"But you don't even have the ring yet?"

"Yeah, but that's on Monday," she said dismissively. "Harry, come on! I really like it. Don't ruin this for me."

He chuckled at her pout. "Okay, okay, I'm sorry. Did Taylor go with you?"

"Uh huh. And Kate." Emmy turned her back on him to stir the contents of a frying pan. "Kate showed us where she normally shops, and she was a huge help. She...she knows how much you're meant to spend, you know?"

"Did your allowance go in then?"

Charles, just as he had done with Kate, had offered to give Emmy a monthly allowance for any clothes she'd need for any engagements she'd have. He'd transferred some money into her bank the day before, and she'd waited for it to register before she'd suggested going shopping with Taylor and had asked Kate whether she'd minded coming with them. The Duchess had been delighted.

"Yeah, it was in there this morning."

"So...?"

She looked up innocently. "What?"

He smirked. "How much did you spend? Or do you not want to tell me?"

Emmy shuffled uncomfortably and ducked her head. "I...don't want to tell you."