3.3 | few syllables and soft lips

few syllables and soft lips

as told by char

Word spread like disease. Apparently, one of the popular football players in your grade saw us kiss in your sister's car and decided to be cliche and tell everyone about it. At school, my friends screeched in excitement and people whispered quietly about how "cute" we were when we walked by in the hallway. Even Diana, who I predicted would hate me because of how many times you ditched her for me, was ecstatic about our relationship. I suppose she never liked you that way, but she was really missing out.

You held my hand and carried half of my books as well as your own and brought me to the library during lunch period so we could eat by ourselves. You kissed me hard on the lips before we parted for the day and called me beautiful every morning and laughed at my dumb jokes that weren't actually funny. My heart was a burning flame and my stomach was constantly churning. My brain was fuzzy. I was falling in obvious love.

Everyone knew. Every single person. And, even though I usually hated attention, I was enjoying it. People didn't see me as a quiet girl with no chances of victory. They texted me or told me straight up how cute we were. They wondered how things were going. It was kind of strange, since high school relationships were more common than inhaling breath, but I realized that it was because the two of us were so limited in our human connection. No one knew simple facts about me or you; not how we lived, what our favorites were, or who we liked. It was like a phenomenal discovery to our peers- a locked gate that finally opened.

You slayed the beast of loneliness with a few syllables and soft lips, and I couldn't thank you enough.