3.2 | dream come true

dream come true

as told by everest

I didn't sleep at all that night. The night after we confessed and started dating was literally the most restless night I have ever had- even more than lock-ins that I attended for church or school where we were basically required to pull an all-nighter, or at sleepovers (with my friends who weren't really my friends anymore) where they would pull pranks on people who fell asleep. No no no, I was wide awake, my eyes barely blinking, by heart racing faster than I'd ever experienced. I was certain that I was having a heart attack, alone in the darkness where no one could hear.

My sister would not stop talking after we dropped you off at your house. She was incredibly proud of herself for playing matchmaker and getting us together, repeating over and over that we owed her big time. I just rolled my eyes at her, smiling out the window so she couldn't see my joy. That would only cause her to taunt me more.

When we arrived at my house, she broke the news to my parents before I could even step in the door. My mother, who has the same strange enthusiasm as my sister, jumped up and down and squealed, and my father clapped me on the back with such pride that it seemed like I had found the cure to cancer or something. I hated the attention, so I just let them celebrate until they slugged off, still gossiping about it as they walked away.

My brother grinned at me when I walked into the living room, chuckling a little. "They did that with me when I brought my first girlfriend home, too," he said. "Good luck."

I blinked and walked up to my room, where I laid down on my bed, my limbs sprawled over the bedspread. I stared at the ceiling and smiled to myself, picturing your delicate face, your laughter lines that made my stomach flip, and the moment when I kissed your crimson lips. I wanted to run to your house and kiss you again. I wanted to hold you. I yearned for you.

But, instead, I laid in my bed and didn't sleep. Not one second. My brain didn't see it necessary; my dream had already come true.