1.3 | mechanical pencils

mechanical pencils

as told by char

I didn't know what to do when I saw you staring at me.

Was there something specific I was supposed to do? If there was, I most definitely failed the task. I was not good at flirting or looking cute or attracting people towards me. I mean, I tried, but I could not do it. I was not pretty enough or outroverted enough and people (well, boys, actually), tended to ignore me. When I had gum in my pencil pouch or someone needed a number two pencil for the test we were taking, that's when I was noticeable. And those moments were rare, because my mom didn't like buying me gum and I usually only used mechanical pencils in class.

I actually assumed that you were staring at me because there was something wrong, like maybe you thought I looked funny or maybe I had a stain on my sweater. I looked down and checked, but there was nothing. So I looked up at you and I tried looking confused because I really was. But you just stared on, and you smiled, so I smiled, and then I started laughing because I didn't know what else to do.

You started chuckling too, quietly, and I saw laughter lines on your face, and they were wonderful.

So I grinned and took a seat with my two friends who seemed to have been waiting for me a while as we had our little staring contest, and the three of us started talking. And I am guilty to say that you slipped into the back of my mind as our conversation went on and I forgot about our encounter until we arrived in front of the school.