Prologue

Prologue

   “Arielle Marie!” My mother called exasperatedly from downstairs. “You get down here, right this instant! You are going to be late for school!”

     “Its 6:35 mum! School starts at 7:55!” I yelled back down, getting annoyed, as this was the third time this month she has gotten the time wrong. “The power went out last night! The electronic clocks are messed up, check your watch!”

     “Sorry!”

     I laughed at my mother’s idiocy.  I guess you could say she was a dumb blonde sometimes. (A/N: I don't want to offend anyone... I am a blonde myself.) When it actually was time for me to leave, though, it was 7:30. “Bye mum, see you after school!” I yelled into the kitchen as I was opening the front door and shrugging into my knit cardigan.

     She walked into the foyer, “You aren’t riding with your brother? It’s cold out.”

     “No,” I said. “I’d rather walk.” You see, my older brother, Jasen, is part of the popular crowd. He drives me to school when it was cold or rainy. But, he also drives his best friend, Chris, to school too. His friends never really noticed me. But when they did, they looked down upon me as if I was some little kid

     “Have a nice day sweetie.” She called over her shoulder as she walked back into the kitchen, throwing her towel over her shoulder. “Be home by six.”

     When I got out front, I felt a soft hand on my shoulder and jumped. I turned, “God, you scared me! Do not ever do that again.”

     “Hey,” One of my three best friends and neighbour Kylee said. “You ready for the test today?”

     “No,” I said sheepishly, “I didn’t study.”

     “You didn’t study?” She said as we stepped onto the walk. “What has this world come to?”

     I swatted her arm, “It’s not that I chose not to study... it’s that I was thinking of... other things...”

     “Whatever. Hey,” Kylee said as we joined our other best friends, Charlie and Danny.

     “Hey,” Charlie smiled.

     Danny smiled and winked at me without the others noticing. “Hey, Ari.”

     “Hi...” I blushed. Danny and I are the closest (in more ways than one) of all of us, even though he was dating Kylee. We have been best friends since infancy, literally.

     Charlie and Kylee walked ahead of us, talking about some movie they saw over the weekend at the cinema.

     “So how are you?” Danny asked, turning his head to look at me.

     “Good, what about you?” I said twirling my hair.

     He looked at me, perplexed, which made me feel self conscience. I crossed my arms over my chest and kept walking. He continued to look at me. Which led to him slamming into street light, we stopped walking and he put a hand up to his forehead.

     I held back a laugh, “Oh my god... are you okay?”

     He put his finger up, signalling for me to wait. When Charlie and Kylee rounded the corner, he pulled me aside.

     He pushed me up against a tree. I looked into his sapphire blue eyes for a few moments.

     He smiled for a second before his lips hit mine. His arms fell naturally around my waist. I put mine around his neck.

     Damn, he’s a good kisser, I thought to myself. He started down towards my neck and I bit my lip.

     When his hands slid towards my butt, I pushed him away. I looked down at my hands and started fumbling with my thumbs.

     “What’s wrong?” He asked trying to look into my eyes.

     I shook my head and looked up into his curious face, “We can’t do this anymore. You’re dating Kylee!”

     He looked down, “I’m sorry.” He put his arm around my shoulder.

     He was turning me on right now and he knew it. I pulled him in for a quick peck on the cheek by the collar of his shirt.

     “Does this mean we’re okay?” He asked.

     I smiled at him and walked away.

     “So, that’s a yes?” He yelled behind me.