Chapter IV: The Indecipherable Incident

Amethyst:

I heard footsteps. My parents are leaving.

I waved a hand at them by the window, and watched them dissapear at my sight.

I hastily went into my mom's room. I have an hour left to prepare. I have to do this quick and smooth. At this point, I am Nancy Drew.

I quickly rummaged into her stuff. I am desperate. I need a red dress.

Forty minutes. I can't find a red dress. No, a red cocktail dress.

Thirty-five minutes. I found a red leather skirt.

All I need is a top. You can't wear a skirt without a top!

Thirty minutes left. I head straight to my room and took my red shear sleveless top.

Twenty-eight minutes. I ran outside as fast as I can.

☆☆☆☆☆☆

The air was cold, just like I was expecting. Wearing this sleeveless top is not appropriate for this kind of weather. Nevermind, I need to focus my atention on how to get to Logan Princeton's birthday celebration safely.

Of course, a ride is a necessity.

I remember my mom telling me that since we live in a subdivision, it is quite hard to get a cab.

I can't give up now. They said that if you really want to achieve something, you have to work hard for it. Logan Princeton's birthday celebration is like a world cup. I was given an opportunity to be a contestant, all I have to do is to win.

Instead of a cab, I saw Riley Ausbritch and his motorcycle, though I was expecting a big pumpkin and fairy-godmother. Riley, the pizza delivery guy. He was my schoolmate.

He was also, well, odd and no one talks to him at all. I kind of hate it when he drops by my locker just to say "hi". My reply would always be a nod, then a walk-out.

He was about to put his helmet on when I finally had the urge to talk to him and said, "Hi, Riley." When he heard my voice, he turned and looked at me for like a few seconds, and then blinked.

"Are you sure that you wanted to talk to me?" he asked, pointing a hand at himself. That was rude. Of course, I wanted to talk to you! I wanted to shout at him.

"I, yeah. I was hoping you can give me a ride? I mean, I'm sorry that I don't talk to you in school, but I want you to know that I really need you at this time." I said with a smile and a little lie.

He looked at me as if he's unsure of what to say. After a few seconds, he said, "Sure, just, be fast. And uh, put on a helmet."

I immediately took the helmet from his hand and rode the motorcycle. It's an awkward thing to put my hands on his body. I've never rode a motorcycle before, especially with someone I do not personally know.

I am extremely fortunate that the first part of my plan was not a fiasco at all. I told myself.

When we left, I glanced back at my house, and saw that I forgot to close the window in my bedroom.

I am dead when I get back. I was sure of it.