Those Red Eyes

I have seen them.

Those red eyes that have appeared frequently in my dreams have now finally appeared to me in my waking life.

Did it catch me off guard? Yes.

Did it scare me? Yes. But did I show that? No. At least I don’t think I did.

Sure, I was stuttering but… Who am I kidding? I was terrified…terrified for my life.

It happened just yesterday, once again around noon. I was visiting Zac and I took one of my photo albums to let him see my work. This album has some of my best photos because it was the album that I had compiled specifically for my pictures that I was going to send in for contests.

National Geographic wasn’t the only magazine that I sent my things to, and most of the pictures that I sent in I did on my own time and weren’t funded or known about by my club. This album was very special to me, and Zac was special enough for me to share it with.

Lately, he has had this knack for coming up behind me, so I’m always sure to try to stay alert. But as always, he never fails to surprise me and I think he’s beginning to find it a little amusing despite the fact that I sometimes fall over. At the beginning he didn’t know that he was scaring me so he was apologetic, but now that he thinks it’s funny, he does it on purpose.

He surprised me again yesterday, but it was different.

======Flasback========

I stood in the dining room, waiting for Zac to emerge from the kitchen with the normal meal. Having been to his house many times now I wasn’t worried about getting in trouble for wandering around the house, and that was exactly what I did. I left my album on the table and walked back into the living room with my camera, ready to take more photographs.

I wanted to go upstairs this time; I have yet to explore the second floor.

The wooden steps creaked underneath my shoes as I ascended up the obviously old stairs. I took slow and careful steps for every level of which I was lifted, trying not to be too loud since the entire house was already quiet to begin with. And even though the house was already quiet, the second floor had a different atmosphere compared to down below, and it didn’t seem like Zac came up here either.

The floor was filled with an eerie silence that made me halt in my tracks as I stood at the top of the stairs, observing the room before me. Just as how I noticed how the other rooms were dusty as if nothing was used, everything here was seemingly the same.

Dusty, and dark.

Sunshine in the winter meant nothing for it was always weak, but with the curtains pulled down and closed so that none of it could come in, it gave the room a murky environment that even I was tempted to avoid.

I considered going downstairs and just ask Zac why everything was like how they were, but I decided not to and to trod on. The hallway led down to a corner, so I decided to walk down and see what was on the other side. I took photographs as I walked, of course. This place had a creepy ambiance, but it made for some awesome pictures.

Sometimes I wonder if that mentality is going to get me killed.

The weird thing was, the entire time I walked down that hallway I felt as if I was being watched from behind, yet every time I turned around there was no one there. I did not have that feeling until after I started walking down the hallway, but maybe that was due to the fact that I was in a small space.

However, it wasn’t until I reached the end of the hall and was about to turn when I noticed something in the corner of my eye…like a dark figure had immediately moved to avoid my seeing it. I stopped, stared, and after awkwardly standing for a few seconds I took a picture of the hallway and kept walking on my merry way…

Part of me was telling myself that I best return downstairs and back to Zac, but another part of me was telling me to keep exploring. I complied with my explorative side and it wasn’t long before I heard a low growling noise a few feet behind me.