Second Visit

In the end, I was too weak to resist the urge to visit him. I had to see him again, as vague and confusing as my feelings were, I just had to or I would surely go crazy. I appeared on his doorstep three days later, at noon. I made sure that I got there promptly so I could stay as long as possible before my afternoon class.

This time I was able to actually knock on the door, but no one answered. I stood there for a moment, not sure whether or not to knock again, but when I did there wasn’t an answer either. I loitered around for a minute or so, looking around the area in case he was outside doing something, but I was alone.

I knocked one last time just for the heck of it, but I didn’t get an answer, of course. He wasn’t home, that or he was asleep and couldn’t hear me. Either way I was disappointed, greatly disappointed. I wanted to see him so badly and I just missed my chance. That’s what I get for being so stupid the past few days.

I turned around and sighed before walking down the porch stairs and back into the snow. Even though I mentally denied it, a part of me hoped that if I walked slowly enough he would have enough time to realise that someone was at the door and he would come and open it. I was so looking forward to seeing him and—

“Amy?”

—I heard his voice.

As if on cue I instantly turned around to see him, standing right there directly in front of me. So very close that I almost bumped into him. It caught me off guard and I think I let out a small gasp before taking a few steps away.

“You came back,” he said, smiling and ignoring the fact that he scared me.

I looked up at him as he loomed over me, gosh, he was so tall. I smiled. “Yes, I told you I would. How are you today?” I asked.

He looked around before responding, keeping his smile plastered onto his face. “I’m doing okay, you? Come inside, Amy, please.” He said this as he turned his body towards the house, I took my place next to him and we walked together towards the door.

As we made our way up the porch and into his house, I couldn’t help but notice though that the energy and vibrancy I saw in his eyes from last time were gone. Today they seemed almost dull. I didn’t say anything about it; he was probably having a bad day and well, you can’t judge a person by how their eyes look.

“I’m doing great,” I said, which was a lie considering how he had inadvertently made me suffer for the past few days. “I’ve been working on more pictures, and I can’t wait to take pictures of the house.”

He nodded as he led me back to his dining room, “I don’t have anything made yet, but if you stick around, maybe you can have lunch with me again?”

I nodded as I took a seat in the same chair as last time. “I don’t mind waiting. Do you want me to help you this time? I’m a decent cook.”

“No, no, you’re a guest. You can take your pictures while I’m in the kitchen, though. I don’t mind you walking around my house. I trust that you won’t take anything,” he said this playfully of course, and smiled before going into the kitchen.

I sat in my seat for about ten minutes, just observing the room before I eventually started to take pictures. After I was done with the dining room, I went to the living room. Even though I was allowed to walk around the house, I didn’t feel right going down the hall and into the more personal areas of the home, like the bedrooms. It was a huge house and I honestly had no idea what room was what except for the obvious, so I decided to stay with the living room before going outside.

Snap, snap, snap!

I took pictures of everything that I saw. I especially focused in on the rocking chair; it was the classic symbol of melancholy that I was aiming for. I’m planning on making a personal album for these photos, I already love them so much.

As I continued to take my pictures, I walked around the house and into the back. There was a small shed along with wood and other equipment. I guess he was back here chopping firewood when I was knocking on his door. No wonder why he didn’t hear me. I walked over to the axe that laid in the snow on top of the wood and took a few pictures of that, then the shed.

That shed.

There was something about it. I stood there and looked at it for a second. For some reason, the idea of going into it didn’t seem too comfortable. I didn’t know why, but I felt like avoiding it would be the best idea. However, he did say that I could go anywhere I wanted to and what could be so horribly wrong with—

“Ah, I advise you not go in there, Amy. It’s quite dusty and dark.”

What the hell?

I pivoted and saw Zac standing behind me, once again. I let out a loud yelp before stumbling over my own feet. I was about to complete the process by falling over too but he grabbed my arm just in time.

“Ah!” I cried, surprised and bemused. Reflexes made me grab for him and I held onto his arm frantically. There is no way that I am about to fall over and hurt my camera on the ground. And thank god that I had it hanging around my neck or I would have dropped it by now.

“I’m sorry!” he said with a firm grip on me. After making sure that I was properly balanced on my feet again, he loosened his hold but did not let go. “I didn’t mean to scare you.” He looked at me apologetically as he said this.

“I-it’s fine. Just…I didn’t even hear you!” I exclaimed; the expression of surprise still stuck on my face. I dropped my hands from his arm and readjusted the hat on my head. I guess I was pouting a little, too. Zac chuckled at this and he let go of me, shaking his head at me as if I were a little girl.

“You should pay attention to your surroundings more,” he said as he turned around and started to walk. “Come,” he gently continued to say, “The food is ready.”

I quickly caught up with him and we returned to the house where I was greeted with a bowl of soup and bread—like last time. As we sat down to eat we were thrown into another conversation—just like last time. Thankfully, things were less awkward.

“So did you take your pictures?”

“Yes, yes, I did!” I began to tell him of all the things I did while he was in the kitchen, and he listened to me intently from what I could tell. I would stop occasionally to show him some of the pictures and to actually eat my food.

“You’re really good at this,” he said, like he said the last time I showed him. I wonder if he actually means it or if he’s just…

“I mean it.”

I could only look at him then, for he took me by surprise. It was almost as if he read my mind when he said that.

“I try my best!” I replied, grinning with confidence. An ego booster was always nice, after all. I never really show my work to anyone besides the people in my club. My roommate doesn’t really care and neither does my family, but now I know I have Zac.

I felt a sense of comfort as I talked with him over food. Even after we were done eating we continued to talk up until I noticed the time. I had to leave for class, so I made another promise to stop by again.

“It was nice seeing you again, Zac,” I said happily as I walked down his steps on his front porch.

This visit was a little weird due to the random events of his seemingly supernatural talent to sneak up behind me, but other than that I enjoyed it. He replied with a smile and nod to my comment. He smiled quite a lot, not like I minded it though. His smiles were always so beautiful and perfect.

I waved as I walked away and I could hear him say, “Likewise, Amy,” before disappearing back into his house.

I’m beginning to think that this is a friendship that I would like to cherish.