Wandering Lamb

When I was younger, my parents had told me not to play in the woods. I’ve always wondered why. The woods were the one place that was the most fun to be: there were no people to bother me as I explored the areas and played amongst the trees. I was an explorer who was going to go and discover every last mysterious place mankind has never even heard of. Why would you want to deprive a child of that adventure? But as I grew up I came to understand their fears, though I still found them to be ridiculous. Honestly, why were they so worried if I got lost or a wolf came and attacked me?

Like stuff like that actually happened nowadays anyway, right?

Now that I’m older, I frequent the forests that are near my old home. It was the perfect place for me to practice my photography and to get away from the loud noises of the city and of college life. Seriously, sometimes I wish homework did not exist. It is a juvenile thought, yes, but I think I have the right to be a kid sometimes.

Snap, snap, snap!

I loved hearing my camera go off with every picture I took. It was a beautiful sound and every photo is a masterpiece to me. I smiled to myself as I stared at my latest photo. I quickly moved on, however, as it was deathly cold and standing for too long didn’t make me any warmer. Winter is harsh where I live, but it serves as one of the most wonderful seasons to capture just the most beautiful photographs. The snow, the icicles, and the reflections of the sun off of it all were just fascinating and I wanted to capture all of its glory with my camera so I can share it with other people.

I’m part of my university’s photography club, and we send our pictures into National Geographic contests when we can. Someday I hope to win one and someday I hope to work for that magazine…which means that until then, I must find the perfect scene and take the perfect picture.

A small clearing came my way as I walked over fallen branches and areas of deep snow. Could there be anything interesting here? Of course, there is always something interesting for a photographer, no matter how small in significance.

I ventured out into the clearing, pulling my hat down further in front of my forehead and my scarf closer against my neck. I could see my breath as I walked, but the cold did not get to me too much—someone needed to do this, right? Half the members in the club probably weren’t this dedicated. But I want this to be my career, so I can understand my obsessive schedule versus theirs.

It didn’t take me long to notice the smoke that was appearing over the trees. Did someone actually live out here? Or is that just a random campfire? I followed that sight until I found the source, and indeed, it was a house.

It was a large, two story house that looked quite old and well, abandoned. But there was smoke coming from the chimney so I knew that it was inhabited by someone. I felt a little awkward and almost like a stalker as I stood in the nearby cluster of trees, just looking. I felt like I was trespassing at this point and was tempted to turn away, but come on…this was too good to pass up.

An old house in an old forest! That would make a nice picture…but I’d have to talk to the owner first.

I came out from behind the trees and started walking towards the porch. It looked like a cozy house from what I can tell so far, it had a rocking chair in front with a little bench. That should make for a nice place to sit out at night and talk…maybe not during winter though.

I reached for the front door and lifted my hand up to knock on it, but before I was able to make contact with the hardwood, it swung open and there stood before me the most handsome man I have ever laid my eyes on.

“Can I help you?” he asked in a low but smooth voice.

I drank in the sight.

He was tall, well built with broad shoulders that led down to noticeably strong arms; black shoulder length hair hugged his narrow face and his bangs gave a stunning contrast against his fair skin. With sharp green eyes and perfectly lined white teeth…this man was the embodiment of Adonis himself.